Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX Hardware problems

PIX Hardware problems

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com

Hi there

Hopefully someone can help here.

We just bought a PIX 506 from ebay for practice.

When we first switched it on, we could hear the fan powering up and
running but the Power LED was not lit. Although the Network LED would
flash time to time.

After rebooting a couple of times, it switched on fine and we were able
to console into it.

We then took it out of service for about 2 hours and powered it down.
Again, when powering up we had the same problem.

It has been running fine now for about 4 hours, we have rebooted it and
it has come straight back up again.

Is it not unusual for older PIX'es to have this issue when being
powered up after hours of non-use. Before we purchased it, it would
have been dead for a couple of weeks.

Alternatively, has anyone experienced this problem before?

Whilst I am here, we need to upgrade the IOS to a newer version - it's
running 6.1(1). Whilst I am waiting for Cisco to come back to me, does
anyone know if upgrades to PIX IOS's are free (say, so long as is it is
not the latest version) or do we have to pay?

Many thanks in advance.

www.BradReese.Com

You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...80094fd9.shtml

As well as Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embed...e-licenses.htm

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
Cisco Repair

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We just bought a PIX 506 from ebay for practice.

>Whilst I am here, we need to upgrade the IOS to a newer version - it's
>running 6.1(1). Whilst I am waiting for Cisco to come back to me, does
>anyone know if upgrades to PIX IOS's are free (say, so long as is it is
>not the latest version) or do we have to pay?

Saving myself some typing here:

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...8c8cf2d5b63d86

In your case, I think the part number is LL-PIX-506-3DES but I'm
not certain on that -- the "natural" part number would be
LL-PIX-506-SW but that is not in Cisco's tables. Unfortunately
I don't find anyone selling the part so I can't estimate the cost.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
www.BradReese.Com <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You may wish to investigate Cisco PIX Hardware Troubleshooting:

>As well as Cisco Software Relicensing For Used Cisco Units:

>http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embed...e-licenses.htm

Brad, is LL-PIX-506-3DES just the 3DES relicense (remember, that used
to cost itself), or is it the generalized relicense, which
uses the pattern LL-PIX-*-SW* for every other model?

Note that the LL-PIX-501-3DES is not the generalized relicense for
the 501: there are LL-PIX-501-SW-* for each of the user limits.
This suggests that LL-PIX-506-3DES is literally just 3DES.
There is no LL-PIX-506-SW part to be found in any table I can see.

Unfortuntely Cisco's site is quite bad for finding information
about relicensing, even when you know that that's the term that
Cisco uses!

www.BradReese.Com

PIX-SW-UPGRADE=
PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers.

List Price: $1,000

LL-PIX-501-3DES PIX 501 168-bit 3DES IPSec Software License
LL-PIX-501-SW-10 PIX 501 10 User Software License
LL-PIX-501-SW-50 PIX 501 50 User Software License
LL-PIX-506-3DES PIX 506 3DES Software License
LL-PIX-515-SW-FO PIX 515 Failover Software License
LL-PIX-515-SW-R PIX 515 Restricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-515-SW-UR PIX 515 Unrestricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-520-FO PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Failover License
LL-PIX-520-SW-128 PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Entry Level License
LL-PIX-520-SW-1K PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Midrange License
LL-PIX-520-SW-UR PIX Classic,10K,510,520 Unrestricted License
LL-PIX-525-SW-FO PIX 525 Failover Software License
LL-PIX-525-SW-R PIX 525 Restricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-525-SW-UR PIX 525 Unrestricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-535-SW-FO PIX 535 Failover Software License
LL-PIX-535-SW-R PIX 535 Restricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-535-SW-UR PIX 535 Unrestricted Function Software License
LL-PIX-VPN-DES PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embed...e-licenses.htm

PIX 501 10 User Platform License LL-PIX-501-SW-10
List Price: $195

PIX 515/515E Failover Platform License LL-PIX-515-SW-FO
List Price: $495

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Failover License LL-PIX-520-FO
List Price: $795

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Entry Level License LL-PIX-520-SW-128
List Price: $1,995

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Midrange License LL-PIX-520-SW-1K
List Price: $3,295

PIX Classic, 10K, 510, 520 Unrestricted License LL-PIX-520-SW-UR
List Price: $7,395

PIX 525 Failover Platform License LL-PIX-525-SW-FO
List Price: $995

PIX 56-bit DES IPSec Software License LL-PIX-VPN-DES
List Price: $1

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco eBay Repair Service
http://www.bradreese.com/ebay-cisco-repair.htm

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
www.BradReese.Com <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>PIX-SW-UPGRADE=
>PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers.

>List Price: $1,000

>LL-PIX-501-SW-50 PIX 501 50 User Software License
>LL-PIX-506-3DES PIX 506 3DES Software License
>LL-PIX-515-SW-FO PIX 515 Failover Software License

Hmmm, the LL-PIX-506-SW relicense option still seems to be
missing in action.

Old discussions of relicensing indicated that all it got you was
the right to use the software, and that it was a prerequisite to
getting support or upgrades [if, that is, you are starting with
equipment for which the license has not been transfered under
one of Cisco's bought-the-company exemptions].

I had a brief look at the description of the relicensing program
a few minutes ago and it indicated that the price would generally
be set at the price of a new license... but it didn't say anything
about it entitling you to an up-to-date version of the software.

Do you have information about that part, Brad? Would paying the
relicense alone get the OP from 6.1 to 6.5 [the latest supported on the
506] ? Or would the OP have to pay the relicense and then pay the
PIX-SW-UPGRADE to get something newer than the version they would then
be entitled to upgrade to by using the free upgrades offered by the PIX
Security Advisories ?

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Walter,

Rather than purchase Cisco Part Number:

PIX-SW-UPGRADE=

PIX Software one-time upgrade for nonsupport customers

List Price: $1,000

It appears the more economical way of getting an upgrade to a newer
version of software is by going under a Cisco SMARTnet 8x5 Nextday
contract:

CON-SNT-PIX506BN

List Price: $112

However, it may require getting Cisco to "inspect" the PIX unit.

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-smartnet.htm

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
Cisco Power Supply Headquarters