Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco VPN client and Remote Desktop

Cisco VPN client and Remote Desktop

Matt

I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network.
I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another
PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to
the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in
the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while
connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use
besides Remote Desktop??

TIA

Matt Atkins

amattina@layer8group.com

Matt wrote:
> I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network.
> I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another
> PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to
> the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in
> the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while
> connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use
> besides Remote Desktop??
>
> TIA
>
> Matt Atkins

Matt,
Let me repeat so I understand...You can connect fine to this remote
machine until you establish a VPN connection with the remote office?

When you connect without being connected with the client VPN software
are you connecting to a public or private IP address?

What about when you are connected via VPN? Do you try to remote to a
public or private IP address?

It sounds like you are trying to remote to a public address (probably
of the firewall) after connecting with VPN. The PIX gets confused about
this. Let me know.

amattina@layer8group.com

Matt wrote:
> I use a Cisco VPN client on a laptop to connect to a client's network.
> I would like to be able to Remote Desktop into the laptop from another
> PC in my office. I can remote into the laptop fine until I connect to
> the remote network with the Cisco VPN client. Is there a setting in
> the Cisco's VPN client software to allow remote sessions while
> connected? If not, is there some other remote software I can use
> besides Remote Desktop??
>
> TIA
>
> Matt Atkins

I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
VPN.

Matt

> I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
> client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
> site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
> VPN.

I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> I just reread your post. You might have split tunneling disabled on the
>> client connection. In which case your laptop only talks to the VPN
>> site. You need to enable split tunneling on the PIX for this client
>> VPN.

>I don't have access to the PIX at the client site.

In that case, you ask the client if they would kindly enable split
tunneling for you.

If the answer is YES, then your problem is solved, probably without
any change on your end (you might have to enable split tunnel in
the client.)

If, though, the answer is NO, then you cannot do what you want
to do -- and in such a case you should not look for ways around the
problem, as you would be violating your client's chosen security
policy if you did manage to find a way. When split-tunneling is
enabled and you are connected to your client, then your client's
network is vulnerable to whomever has taken over -your- computer
and is using it as a "trojan horse" to attack your client.

amattina@layer8group.com

Mr. Roberson is correct. Split-tunneling does create a 'security
concern' of sorts as you are allowing more traffic to zip around. If
you are in an environment where this would be a legitimate security
concern we probably wouldn't be having this conversation though. Don't
play Micky Mouse games and bandaid...