Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox crashes all the time

Reply
Thread Tools

Firefox crashes all the time

 
 
KN_____@cast.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
crash.

I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
have become useless.

KN
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mozilla Champion (Dan)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
> crash.
>
> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
> have become useless.
>
> KN


Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
problems.

Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
PM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
> crash.
>
> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
> have become useless.
>
> KN


Try <http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/>. The K-Meleon browser is very fit
for old Windows system with a deficit of memory.

--
/P.M.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mumia W.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
On 08/23/2006 02:52 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
> crash.
>
> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
> have become useless.
>
> KN


Check your system for malware.
Use Windows Update or whatever the equivalent is for Win98se
to update your O/S.
Upgrade to Firefox 1.5.

 
Reply With Quote
 
FoxWolfie Galen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 02:52:29 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
> crash.


I'm also using a Pentium 233, but with only 64 megs of RAM. I also have IE
5.5, but have never had to use it. Firefox 1.0 did crash on occasion, but
not very often. I am currently using version 1.5.0.6 and that has never
crashed on me. None of the newer 1.5.x versions have crashed for me, except
possibly when installing new extensions or themes, but I tend to blame that
entirely on the badly-written extensions and themes. This problem is not
very common with Firefox 1.5.x.

Firefox 1.5.x is actually a bit faster on my Win 98se system than Firefox
1.0.x was, so there is little reason to not upgrade. The newer versions are
*not* bloated, like most other software. Be aware that you may have to find
new versions of some extensions, if you use them.

Other things that cause Win98 to crash are video and sound drivers that
aren't quite right. Back up your existing drivers and see if you can find
newer versions. Crashes caused by bad often only show up while running
certain programs.

> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
> have become useless.


There is a chance that your Firefox profile has some sort of corruption in
it. You could try with a totally new profile. Reinstalling Firefox, as
you've probably done a few times, does not fix or replace an existing
profile. In your case, the profile is probably located in
"C:\Windows\Application Data\Mozilla\". To do a fully clean update, you
must create a new profile and use it, or just delete the old one. Back up
your entire profile prior to deleting anything, in case you need something
from it later. Your bookmarks and preferences are stored there. If you are
going to do this, you might as well upgrade to 1.5.0.6 as well.

I have a friend who is happily using 1.5.0.6 on a Win 95 system, though it
required a few .dlls to be upgraded first. Win 98se already works with
Firefox as it is.
 
Reply With Quote
 
KN_____@cast.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
>> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
>> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
>> crash.
>>
>> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
>> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
>> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
>> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
>> have become useless.
>>
>> KN

>
>Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
>problems.
>
>Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.


Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
to use it, period.

I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
Apparently FF is NOT.

If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.

KN
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Thompson
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
On 2006-08-23, Mumia W. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On 08/23/2006 02:52 AM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
>> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
>> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
>> crash.
>>
>> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
>> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
>> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
>> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
>> have become useless.


> Check your system for malware.
> Use Windows Update or whatever the equivalent is for Win98se
> to update your O/S.
> Upgrade to Firefox 1.5.


Windows Update will no longer update Win9x/ME systems. Time to update
the OS? If you don't want to spend the $$$ for a newer version of
Windows (that may need more horsepower than your machine has), check out
the smaller linux distributions e.g. Vectorlinux, Puppy linux, or even
NetBSD. Up to date versions of Firefox are available for all these.

--

John ((E-Mail Removed))
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mozilla Champion (Dan)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
>>> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
>>> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
>>> crash.
>>>
>>> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
>>> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
>>> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
>>> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
>>> have become useless.
>>>
>>> KN

>> Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
>> problems.
>>
>> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

>
> Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
> software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
> should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
> computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
> to use it, period.
>
> I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
> older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
> will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
> bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
> more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
> FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
> or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
> be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
> and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
> with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
> FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
> brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
> body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
> Apparently FF is NOT.
>
> If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
> to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
> software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
> software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
> IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
> even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
> note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
> Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
> things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
> Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
> become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
> of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
>
> KN


Firefox 1.0 was the first release version of the program, compared to
version 1.5.0.6 (the current release) which contains several thousand
bug fixes, several dozen critical security enhancements and several new
features.

You can continue to use it if you want, but if you are experiencing
problems then the FIRST thing almost anyone will tell you is to upgrade
to the latest version!

Fine, dont upgrade then, be my guest. But then you wont be able to fix
the problem you are having either. Staying with your old software is
just fine, as long as you dont have a problem with it. So the question
becomes - are you having a problem?

If Yes, then upgrade
If No, then whats the question?



 
Reply With Quote
 
gwtc
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>>> This is Firefox 1.0. It seems to crash more and more.
>>>> I am using Win98Se on an old Pentium 233 computer with 72 megs ram.
>>>> I clear the cache daily. It seems that once I open several tabs, I
>>>> crash.
>>>>
>>>> I also hacve IE 5.5 installed. While IE crashes occasionally, Firefox
>>>> crashes much more often. While I like the features of FF much better,
>>>> I am really sick of the crashing and find myself using IE most of the
>>>> time now. Maybe it's just time to get rid of FF because it seems to
>>>> have become useless.
>>>>
>>>> KN
>>> Well if you used an up to date verions, maybe you wouldnt have those
>>> problems.
>>>
>>> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

>>
>> Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade? (Or for that matter, any
>> software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
>> should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
>> computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
>> to use it, period.
>> I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
>> older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
>> will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
>> bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
>> more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP. I already know that upgrading
>> FF will be opening a can of worms. It's not simply installing a patch
>> or new .DLL file. I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
>> be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
>> and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
>> with XP, and completely start over. I was perfectly happy with using
>> FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
>> brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
>> body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
>> Apparently FF is NOT.
>>
>> If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
>> to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
>> software. Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
>> software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
>> IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
>> even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
>> note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
>> Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
>> things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
>> Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
>> become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
>> of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
>>
>> KN

>
> Firefox 1.0 was the first release version of the program, compared to
> version 1.5.0.6 (the current release) which contains several thousand
> bug fixes, several dozen critical security enhancements and several new
> features.
>


plus it contains a lot of fixes to several problems.

--
Files From The Not To Swift Department . . .

A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy Drive
and pulling it out very quickly. When I inquired as to what she was
doing, she said she was shopping on the Internet and they kept asking
for a credit card number, so she was using the ATM "thingy."
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mumia W.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-24-2006
On 08/23/2006 03:54 PM, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 08:27:46 GMT, "Mozilla Champion (Dan)"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> Firefox is up to 1.5.06 now. Please update.

>
> Since when does Firefox REQUIRE an upgrade?


It doesn't, but as the Mozilla organization fixes Fx bugs, the
only way you'll get the bug fixes is by downloading and
installing the new, fixed version of Fx.

> (Or for that matter, any
> software). Whether software is purchased or free, older versions
> should continue to work when upgrades come out. I did not get a
> computer in order to install new software all the time. I bought it
> to use it, period.
>
> I have no intention of upgrading. This is an older computer with an
> older version of Windows. It SHOULD run older software. It likely
> will NOT run newer software, which is most likely nothing more than a
> bloated version of the same thing, and likely requires more memory,
> more cpu speed, and most likely WinXP.


/Microsoft/ makes its money by forcing people to upgrade most
of their software and most of their hardware every few years,
but Mozilla is not Microsoft or Dell. Mozilla doesn't sell
operating systems or computers.

You failed to check the system requirements for Firefox
1.5.0.6: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/system-requirements.html

Win98 is a supported O/S.


> I already know that upgrading
> FF will be opening a can of worms.


Correction: not-upgrading Fx will make your computer a can of
worms. Every so often, vulnerabilities are found in Fx that
would allow Internet worms and other malware to intrude upon
your system and make it unstable.

> It's not simply installing a patch
> or new .DLL file.


With modern versions of Fx, it is like installing a patch.

> I am well aware that all my extensions will need to
> be reinstalled, then likely I'll have to add memory, upgrade windows,
> and ultimately spend a thousand dollars for a complete new computer
> with XP, and completely start over.


You've been using Microsoft software for too long. Microsoft's
way of thinking about computers has infected your brain. Good
luck with that.

> I was perfectly happy with using
> FF 1.0. I dont need more features or bloat. It's just a friggin web
> brower, not a weapon of mass destruction or highly technical medical
> body function monitor. All I ask is for a browser that's stable.
> Apparently FF is NOT.
>


If the bug that's causing Fx 1.0 to crash has been fixed in Fx
1.5.0.6, how would you get the benefit without upgrading?

> If Mozilla did something to make their older versions crash, in order
> to force users to upgrade, I dont want anything to do with their
> software.


I'm not going to laugh out loud, because I feel for you.
Before you dump Fx for IE, you should know that IE is ten
times buggier than Fx, and it is the primary target of
hackers, and MS isn't providing any updates (including
security updates) for the versions of IE that will run on your
chosen O/S.

Of course, you could always use Lynx.

> Even Microsoft (as crooked as they are), still has older
> software that works. I still use IE 5.5, and want no part of IE 6.x.
> IE 5.5 still works (as much as I hate IE). FF 1.0 used to work fine,
> even though it did on occasion crash, but not any longer. I should
> note that it crashes most often when I go to websites with PDF files.
> Unfortunately far too many sites use those god forsaken s.l.o.w
> things. Maybe it's because I removed Adobe reader and got Foxit.
> Adobe reader is a prime example of bloatware that went so far as to
> become unusable. Adobe was yet another REQUIRED upgrade. Getting rid
> of it was the best thing I ever did on this computer.
>
> KN


Have you ever heard of "xpdf for windows"?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
James Gosling the Creator of EMACS and JAVA - leaves ORACLE - Butthen reports started coming in of odd failures. Systems would crashstrangely. We'd get crashes in applications. All applications. Crashes in thekernel. small Pox C Programming 2 07-22-2010 10:07 PM
![Oof Topix] All McCain, All Flip-Flop, All the Time Bucky Breeder Computer Support 7 09-27-2008 03:33 PM
Firefox crashes every time I print this web page to PDF Ricky Mitchell Firefox 10 07-12-2005 12:12 AM
Calendar crashes all the time Markus Dehmann Firefox 1 02-14-2005 07:22 AM
new pc crashes all the time, need trouble shooting help. Diehard Computer Information 14 01-14-2004 05:57 AM



Advertisments