Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless ad hoc network: 2nd PC not getting IP on network

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless ad hoc network: 2nd PC not getting IP on network

 
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2006
I've put together a simple home network like this:

broadband cable modem

v
VOIP phone gateway SVA-600

v
PC#1 )))) (ad hoc wireless connection) (((( PC#2

Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2 and have D-Link DWL-G510 PCI wireless
network cards. I've used the D-Link configuration utility to set both cards
to ad hoc mode, set up an SSID and got the two devices to connect (the "D"
in the utility turns green).

Data encryption is disabled, and I've turned off all firewalls on both
machines for the moment.

I then ran the Windows XP network setup wizard on PC#1, to enable internet
connection, file and printer sharing on the network. I said PC#1 was
connected directly to the internet. I then ran the wizard on PC#2, saying
that it connected to the internet through another computer.

The second PC is not given an IP address on the network. I tried repairing
the connection several times, but each time it's given an IP starting with
169, when it should be 192.168.88.101 (PC#1 is 192.168.88.100. The gateway
is 192.168.88.1). I tried manually entering the IP setting details, but PC#2
still could not ping any other device on the network.

I am pretty new to this, so if anyone could explain how I should go about
setting up the above network, I'd be very grateful.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jack \(MVP-Networking\).
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
Hi

If you do not want to share the Internet and just need connection between
those two computers, you need to assign a static IP to each computer. E.g.
PC#1 192.168.1.1 and PC#2 192.168.1.2

If you would like to share the Internet too, disable the original Utility
and use Windows ICS to Auto assign the IP.

The principle here,
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi

Jack (MVP-Networking).



"Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IxLGg.10816$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've put together a simple home network like this:
>
> broadband cable modem
>
> v
> VOIP phone gateway SVA-600
>
> v
> PC#1 )))) (ad hoc wireless connection) (((( PC#2
>
> Both PCs are running Windows XP SP2 and have D-Link DWL-G510 PCI wireless
> network cards. I've used the D-Link configuration utility to set both
> cards to ad hoc mode, set up an SSID and got the two devices to connect
> (the "D" in the utility turns green).
>
> Data encryption is disabled, and I've turned off all firewalls on both
> machines for the moment.
>
> I then ran the Windows XP network setup wizard on PC#1, to enable internet
> connection, file and printer sharing on the network. I said PC#1 was
> connected directly to the internet. I then ran the wizard on PC#2, saying
> that it connected to the internet through another computer.
>
> The second PC is not given an IP address on the network. I tried repairing
> the connection several times, but each time it's given an IP starting with
> 169, when it should be 192.168.88.101 (PC#1 is 192.168.88.100. The gateway
> is 192.168.88.1). I tried manually entering the IP setting details, but
> PC#2 still could not ping any other device on the network.
>
> I am pretty new to this, so if anyone could explain how I should go about
> setting up the above network, I'd be very grateful.
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-23-2006
"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
>
> If you do not want to share the Internet and just need connection between
> those two computers, you need to assign a static IP to each computer.
> E.g. PC#1 192.168.1.1 and PC#2 192.168.1.2
>
> If you would like to share the Internet too, disable the original Utility
> and use Windows ICS to Auto assign the IP.
>
> The principle here,
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).


I've uninstalled the D-link software, and used Windows to configure the
wireless settings. Set it up as per the tutorial you linked to. The
connection appears to be there, however:

I ran the Network setup wizard again on both PCs.

PC#2 still ends up with a 169.*.*.* IP, can't connect to the internet,
doesn't appear in the "view workgroup computers", and can't ping PC#1 or the
gateway.

Tomorrow I'll try removing the VoIP adapterm, to see if the network will
work in its most basic form.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-25-2006
"Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tc5Hg.9530$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi
>>
>> If you do not want to share the Internet and just need connection between
>> those two computers, you need to assign a static IP to each computer.
>> E.g. PC#1 192.168.1.1 and PC#2 192.168.1.2
>>
>> If you would like to share the Internet too, disable the original Utility
>> and use Windows ICS to Auto assign the IP.
>>
>> The principle here,
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>>
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

>
> I've uninstalled the D-link software, and used Windows to configure the
> wireless settings. Set it up as per the tutorial you linked to. The
> connection appears to be there, however:
>
> I ran the Network setup wizard again on both PCs.
>
> PC#2 still ends up with a 169.*.*.* IP, can't connect to the internet,
> doesn't appear in the "view workgroup computers", and can't ping PC#1 or
> the gateway.
>
> Tomorrow I'll try removing the VoIP adapterm, to see if the network will
> work in its most basic form.


Well, I've done this now. This time I can sucessfully share files between
the two computers, but PC#2 still cannot access the shared internet
connection!

(For info, both computers have the wireless network connection with
169.254.x.x addresses).


 
Reply With Quote
 
Miles
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-31-2006
"Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8fLHg.9$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:tc5Hg.9530$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> If you do not want to share the Internet and just need connection
>>> between those two computers, you need to assign a static IP to each
>>> computer. E.g. PC#1 192.168.1.1 and PC#2 192.168.1.2
>>>
>>> If you would like to share the Internet too, disable the original
>>> Utility and use Windows ICS to Auto assign the IP.
>>>
>>> The principle here,
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...mspx?pf=trueHi
>>>
>>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

>>
>> I've uninstalled the D-link software, and used Windows to configure the
>> wireless settings. Set it up as per the tutorial you linked to. The
>> connection appears to be there, however:
>>
>> I ran the Network setup wizard again on both PCs.
>>
>> PC#2 still ends up with a 169.*.*.* IP, can't connect to the internet,
>> doesn't appear in the "view workgroup computers", and can't ping PC#1 or
>> the gateway.
>>
>> Tomorrow I'll try removing the VoIP adapterm, to see if the network will
>> work in its most basic form.

>
> Well, I've done this now. This time I can sucessfully share files between
> the two computers, but PC#2 still cannot access the shared internet
> connection!
>
> (For info, both computers have the wireless network connection with
> 169.254.x.x addresses).


Finally got everything working (for those that may be interested).

Manually configured the wireless adapters on PC#1 to 192.168.0.1 and PC#2 to
192.168.0.2. Then set the default gateway on PC#2 to 192.168.0.1, and
entered in the IPs of my ISP's DNS servers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ad hoc lists vs ad hoc tuples Floris Bruynooghe Python 6 01-28-2010 07:32 AM
How to add a wireless printer to a ad hoc wireless network? =?Utf-8?B?V2Vp?= Wireless Networking 1 01-16-2007 03:51 AM
Wireless ad hoc network (2 Computers) gateway not connecting =?Utf-8?B?Q2FtMDA5?= Wireless Networking 3 01-27-2006 06:12 AM
Very slow file transfer on wireless-g ad-hoc network =?Utf-8?B?S2VpdGg=?= Wireless Networking 0 09-07-2004 01:07 AM
How to setup ad hoc wireless network =?Utf-8?B?amFyYXlh?= Wireless Networking 1 08-02-2004 11:37 AM



Advertisments