Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Question regarding Cisco switch architecture

Question regarding Cisco switch architecture

dilan.weerasinghe@gmail.com

Hi

I have a query regarding the position of various Cisco switches in
relation to the network architecture.

Let's say, for simplicity's sake, that we are using 3 levels; Core,
Distribution and Access.

An Access Level switch would be connected directly to the users'
workstations and would be something along the lines of a 2950?

A Distribution Level switch would facilitate VLAN's, interVLAN routing,
access-lists and so on, and would be something along the lines of a
3550?

A Core Level switch would just switch between the Distribution level
switches?

So in a network environment, you would have a router connected to a
core switch, which would be connected to various distribution level
switches, which in turn would be connected to the access level
switches?

Am I correct?

A second question I have is that I've picked up a cheap 5002 Cat
switch. It has a Supervisor engine in Slot 1 and a 10baseT switching
module in Slot2. Can I change this to make the switch ports Fast
Ethernet?

Many thanks in advance.

SAto

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) skrev:

> An Access Level switch would be connected directly to the users'
> workstations and would be something along the lines of a 2950?
>
> A Distribution Level switch would facilitate VLAN's, interVLAN routing,
> access-lists and so on, and would be something along the lines of a
> 3550?
>
> A Core Level switch would just switch between the Distribution level
> switches?

The Access level does not have to be switches, it can be routers and
the Core layer should probably be routers, but it all depends on the
network in question.
And a single device in your network can actually be at several or even
all layers.

The three layered model is more directed at which functions should be
implemented at each level than what type of equipment it is.

The core layer should not implement features that may degrade
performance.
This includes packet inspection/manipulation. Although some hardware
can do this at wire speed.

The distribution layer is where the Access layers and Core layer meets.
This is normally where one would put access-lists to prevent access or
QoS classification.

The access layer is where the end user connects into the network.
This is normally a switched enviroment. This is also where port level
security is implementer.

> So in a network environment, you would have a router connected to a
> core switch, which would be connected to various distribution level
> switches, which in turn would be connected to the access level
> switches?
>
> Am I correct?

No, normally I would say that the distribution level and core level
consist of routers or layer 3 switches. But as stated above the type of
device or even number of devices may differ.

> A second question I have is that I've picked up a cheap 5002 Cat
> switch. It has a Supervisor engine in Slot 1 and a 10baseT switching
> module in Slot2. Can I change this to make the switch ports Fast
> Ethernet?

There are 5000 line cards that provide 100tx ports but they are end of
sale.
You can probably get them from other sources though.

-SAto