Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Help with VPN & Netgear DG834M Routers

Help with VPN & Netgear DG834M Routers

Brendan J Cuffe

We are a very small business outfit, me a colleague and a secretary and so
all the IT stuff falls to me. Following my colleague's involvement in an
traffic accident I am trying to set up VPN between are office and his house.

The set up is a small network at our office and the same in his home and
both connect to the internet with Netgear DG834M gateways.

I have followed instructions downloaded from Netgear's website and have
successfully set up the Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel. His home uses the
Hetgear default address range of 192.168.0.x and I changed the office to use
the range 192.168.3.x. I have activated the VPN tunnel succesfully and we
have successfully pinged each other.

My question is how do we start to use the VPN tunnel so he can actually
access files on shared drives in the office? The Netgear guide says to go
to a URL whose IP address or range is covered by the VPN policy. I have
typed http://192.168.0.2 in Internet Explorer to access his computer but
nothing happens. DO we need additional software or can we use the network
connection wizard in windows xp professional. I tried this but it asked for
usernames and passwords? If I need these how do I set it up?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

Brendan

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Do use VPN you need a VPN End Point (server) on side of the connection.
I do not think that the DG834M is a VPN End-Point, it probably just pass
through.
May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Brendan J Cuffe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> We are a very small business outfit, me a colleague and a secretary and so
> all the IT stuff falls to me. Following my colleague's involvement in an
> traffic accident I am trying to set up VPN between are office and his
> house.
>
> The set up is a small network at our office and the same in his home and
> both connect to the internet with Netgear DG834M gateways.
>
> I have followed instructions downloaded from Netgear's website and have
> successfully set up the Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel. His home uses the
> Hetgear default address range of 192.168.0.x and I changed the office to
> use the range 192.168.3.x. I have activated the VPN tunnel succesfully
> and we have successfully pinged each other.
>
> My question is how do we start to use the VPN tunnel so he can actually
> access files on shared drives in the office? The Netgear guide says to go
> to a URL whose IP address or range is covered by the VPN policy. I have
> typed http://192.168.0.2 in Internet Explorer to access his computer but
> nothing happens. DO we need additional software or can we use the network
> connection wizard in windows xp professional. I tried this but it asked
> for usernames and passwords? If I need these how do I set it up?
>
> Any guidance greatly appreciated.
>
> Brendan

Brendan J Cuffe

Thanks for that, now up and up running.