Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Playing with floats

Playing with floats

Luigi Donatello Asero

Hello,
if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on the
right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I can
still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how do I
adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right although
these columns do not have the same length?
See
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/test.html

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
*想去 度假马?

Harlan Messinger

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> Hello,
> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on the
> right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I can
> still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how do I
> adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right although
> these columns do not have the same length?

float: right;

The margin has nothing to do with it.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"Harlan Messinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> > Hello,
> > if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on

the
> > right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I

can
> > still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how

do I
> > adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right

although
> > these columns do not have the same length?

> float: right;
>
> The margin has nothing to do with it.

A <div> which is floated tends to take a position which is more on the top
(if there is space there)
instead of the one which is more on the right,
does it not?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
*想去 度假马?

JDS

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:55:24 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

> Hello,

Hi!

> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on
> the right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so
> that I can still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser
> window how do I adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to
> the right although these columns do not have the same length?

This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
width and center, but a static weight and height.

I can provide a detailed example, if you wish. And of course, please feel
free to post any questions about specific problems you encounter when
implenting a multi layered static width dimension schem that must also
retain vartiable flexibility in its height and margin layout.

later...

--
JDS

Harlan Messinger

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> "Harlan Messinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on

> the
>>> right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so that I

> can
>>> still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser window how

> do I
>>> adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to the right

> although
>>> these columns do not have the same length?

>> float: right;
>>
>> The margin has nothing to do with it.

> A <div> which is floated tends to take a position which is more on the top
> (if there is space there)
> instead of the one which is more on the right,
> does it not?

I don't know what you mean by "more on the right". Like everything on
the screen, a floated DIV has a horizontal and a vertical location. A
right-floated DIV floats to the right of its container. Its vertical
position is the same as it would have been if it hadn't been floated. If
a right-floated div is the first thing in its container, then it will be
positioned at the top right corner of its container.

Paul Watt

"JDS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) s...
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:55:24 +0000, Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
>
>> Hello,

> Hi!
>
>> if I have 3 containers and I want to position one on the left, one on
>> the right and one on the middle without using absolute positioning so
>> that I can still see all of them regardless of the width of the browser
>> window how do I adjust the margins in a way that one of them floats to
>> the right although these columns do not have the same length?

> This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
> approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
> static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
> stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
> bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
> width and center, but a static weight and height.
>
> I can provide a detailed example, if you wish. And of course, please feel
> free to post any questions about specific problems you encounter when
> implenting a multi layered static width dimension schem that must also
> retain vartiable flexibility in its height and margin layout.
>
> later...
>
> --
> JDS

"bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme"...one of the best things I've
heard in ages. With the possible exception of a t-shirt I saw that said
"Frankie says you're gay".

--
Cheers

Paul
le singe est dans l'arbre
http://www.paulwatt.info

dorayme

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
JDS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
> approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
> static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
> stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
> bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
> width and center, but a static weight and height.

Jesus! I guess you better show it in action... I can hear the
roar of a V8 when I read this.

--
dorayme

mbstevens

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:09:26 -0400, JDS wrote:

> This can't be done with three static containers. But a close
> approximation can be achieved using 3 variable layout containers, several
> static dimensioning attribute containers, and at least one external
> stylesheet. Plus some Javascript, to massage the layout into a
> bi-functional multilevel dimensioning scheme, while retaining a variable
> width and center, but a static weight and height.

That sounds more complex than the Hot Rats album, but
I imagine the kind of float Luigi'd be most comfortable with is a rubber
ducky.

Converting floats to Strings and back dcMan Java 7 11-23-2005 10:58 AM
Floats to chars and chars to floats Kosio C Programming 44 09-23-2005 09:49 AM
How to handle floats and avoid NaN mehtakrishna2002@yahoo.com Java 7 09-08-2005 10:12 PM
Problems adding floats Klixx0r Java 5 12-13-2004 07:17 PM
Floats become decimals when read from a resultset. Koen Java 4 10-27-2004 02:09 PM

Advertisments