Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Image

Image

News

I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
image but that is not correct.

Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

Thanks

--

Totus possum, totum Deum.
Totus ero, totum meum.

Els

News wrote:

> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
> image but that is not correct.
>
> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
image. There is no way to protect images on the web.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Harlan Messinger

Els wrote:
> News wrote:
>
>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
>> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
>> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
>> image but that is not correct.
>>
>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
>> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

> If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
> image. There is no way to protect images on the web.

It's probably a background image. You can find its location through the
HTML source code ("View Source"), unless it's stuck away in a
stylesheet, in which case you have to download the stylesheet first.

ozzy.kopec@gmail.com

News wrote:
> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
> image but that is not correct.
>
> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.
>
> Thanks

Provide a link to one or more of the sites and someone will let yah
know what is what. Could be some simple javascript (which really
can't stop anyone from getting the image).

Els

Harlan Messinger wrote:

> Els wrote:
>> News wrote:
>>
>>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
>>> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
>>> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
>>> image but that is not correct.
>>>
>>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
>>> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

>> If you can show us such a page, we can show you how you copy the
>> image. There is no way to protect images on the web.

> It's probably a background image. You can find its location through the
> HTML source code ("View Source"), unless it's stuck away in a
> stylesheet, in which case you have to download the stylesheet first.

If it's a background image, just load the page in Firefox, right click
the image and select 'view background-image'.
That is, if there isn't another (transparent) image overlay of course.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Chris F.A. Johnson

On 2006-08-21, News wrote:
> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
> image but that is not correct.
>
> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

Look at the HTML code and the stylesheet.

If you cannot figure it out, post a URL here.

One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
<http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
(I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
matter) The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
section of the screen) is at:
<http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.

Author:

Nije Nego

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:41:03 GMT, News wrote:

> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
> me I could not copy the image.

If you want to get the images, you should install proper browser (maybe you
have already), like Firefox ( http://urlkick.com/338 ) and than right
click - view page info - media. You will have everything there.

> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
> doing?

If you want to protect your images - forget about it, it's impossible, you
just may hide it from few who do not know how to get it. It's not worth the
effort.

--
buy, bought, bye

Els

Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> On 2006-08-21, News wrote:
>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life of
>> me I could not copy the image. I have tried to figure out how this is
>> accomplished but have no idea. At first I thought the entire site was a
>> image but that is not correct.
>>
>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers are
>> doing? Or could you please tell me what they are doing or using.

> Look at the HTML code and the stylesheet.
>
> If you cannot figure it out, post a URL here.
>
> One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
> <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
> (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
> matter)

It's stuck in a .dll. There are programs to extract (and compile) .dll
files.

> The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
> section of the screen) is at:
> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.

Yup, works too.

--
Els http://locusmeus.com/

Nije Nego

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:20:14 -0400, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> One example I saw recently uses a non-portable method:
> <http://www.printroom.com/popupImage.asp?img_id=42876839&effectRGB=>
> (I haven't figured out exactly how it was done, but it didn't
> matter) The extracted image (using ImageMagick's display to grab a
> section of the screen) is at:
> <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/web/examples/brewers.jpg>.

With Firefox "view page info" I got spacer.gif (1x1px) as well.
Not that I need it.

--
buy, bought, bye

Runnin' on Empty

"Nije Nego" <"nije\"nego"@net.hr> wrote in message
news:76b0jch39n4o.1x04pngq1xl76$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 21 Aug 2006 16:41:03 GMT, News wrote:
>
>> I have been on some sites where there were images on it but for the life
>> of
>> me I could not copy the image.

> If you want to get the images, you should install proper browser (maybe
> you
> have already), like Firefox ( http://urlkick.com/338 ) and than right
> click - view page info - media. You will have everything there.
>
>> Could anyone tell me were I could go to learn what those web designers
>> are
>> doing?

> If you want to protect your images - forget about it, it's impossible, you
> just may hide it from few who do not know how to get it. It's not worth
> the
> effort.
>
> --
> buy, bought, bye

I agree, it's not worth the effort, unless you only want to protect the
image from the uninformed...

For One thing, in order for any web page element to be displayed in the
browser, it first has to downloaded to the visitors hard drive.

For IE, these images are stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
could be found through a search.