Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Prevent\Detect Dual Homing

Prevent\Detect Dual Homing

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Hansang Bae wrote:
> [use of bpdu guard from Cisco]
>
> > Yes!!!
> > This is the key.
> > However, you do not need to rely on BPDU guard (I don't think)
> > Aaron, why will the wired adaptor lose in this situation?
> > You may be able to arrange the STP parameters
> > to get the results that you want.

> [snip]
>
> Because if you can tweak the parameters, so can other people. But they
> can't stop BPDUs so it would be safer.
>
> hsb

I was, perhaps incorrectly, thinking that the windows
boxes would be STP transparent. I recall now that I have
seen that they are. Clearly in principle someone could bring in
additional components that were STP active and break the
network however I am not certain that this is a major consideration
for most networks. It is I agree a consideration for big
corporates.

Good to have you back by the way.

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hansang Bae wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > [use of bpdu guard from Cisco]
> >
> > > Yes!!!
> > > This is the key.
> > > However, you do not need to rely on BPDU guard (I don't think)
> > > Aaron, why will the wired adaptor lose in this situation?
> > > You may be able to arrange the STP parameters
> > > to get the results that you want.

> > [snip]
> >
> > Because if you can tweak the parameters, so can other people. But they
> > can't stop BPDUs so it would be safer.
> >
> > hsb

> I was, perhaps incorrectly, thinking that the windows
> boxes would be STP transparent. I recall now that I have
> seen that they are. Clearly in principle someone could bring in
> additional components that were STP active and break the
> network however I am not certain that this is a major consideration
> for most networks. It is I agree a consideration for big
> corporates.
>
> Good to have you back by the way.

Further issue is that I don't think that switches in
general are designed to have active STP on every port.

Too much work to do.

Seemed like fine idea for a while.

Hansang Bae

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I was, perhaps incorrectly, thinking that the windows
> boxes would be STP transparent. I recall now that I have
> seen that they are. Clearly in principle someone could bring in
> additional components that were STP active and break the
> network however I am not certain that this is a major consideration
> for most networks. It is I agree a consideration for big
> corporates.
>
> Good to have you back by the way.

Thanks. I think this is a big gaping hole for a lot companies.
NAC-like functionality is a good thing in concept. We'll see how it
pans out - operationaly speaking.

--

hsb

Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to

BGP , ASNs and Multi-homing The Doctor Cisco 1 08-26-2010 05:47 PM
Multi homing Hari Cisco 0 02-20-2008 11:16 AM
multi homing alt.testing@{g}mail.com Cisco 0 08-21-2007 02:13 AM
Prevent\Detect Dual Homing happy.ppp Wireless Networking 2 08-28-2006 05:06 AM
Redundant Linked Edge Devices - Some theory on Dual Homing, please Chris Harvey Cisco 4 01-12-2004 07:15 PM

Advertisments