Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > disabled wireless

disabled wireless

=?Utf-8?B?bW91dGhicmVhdGhlcg==?=

Hi,
My HP notebook computer came with broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
wireless/bluetooth and it worked fine
until I installed a DSL line with sbc/yahoo and then I attempted to install
a dell wireless
router and then I encountered a problem where my computer would not boot up
an I had to restore the system to a previous date. Now the little wireless
icon in my toolbar says that the WLAN/bluetooth is constantly disabled even
though the computer setup, the device manager, the wirelss button all say it
is enabled, does anyone have any ideas?
thanks....

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
May be you can clarify what WIFI/Bluetooth means.
WIFI is one thing and Bluetooth is another and there is No functional
connection between them.
In addition DSL Modem connection and a Router are external devices, and are
not suppose to affect the computer's configuration. I.e. there is something
else that is going own.to the, so it seems that there is something else that
is affecting the computer boot.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"mouthbreather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> My HP notebook computer came with broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
> wireless/bluetooth and it worked fine
> until I installed a DSL line with sbc/yahoo and then I attempted to
> install
> a dell wireless
> router and then I encountered a problem where my computer would not boot
> up
> an I had to restore the system to a previous date. Now the little wireless
> icon in my toolbar says that the WLAN/bluetooth is constantly disabled
> even
> though the computer setup, the device manager, the wirelss button all say
> it
> is enabled, does anyone have any ideas?
> thanks....

=?Utf-8?B?bW91dGhicmVhdGhlcg==?=

I am an idiot...I found the wireless button....please keep the laughing to a
minimum...I still have a problem with setting up the router for a wireless
network in my home though...could it be that the dell router is not
compatible with my hp? or is there something else wrong?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> May be you can clarify what WIFI/Bluetooth means.
> WIFI is one thing and Bluetooth is another and there is No functional
> connection between them.
> In addition DSL Modem connection and a Router are external devices, and are
> not suppose to affect the computer's configuration. I.e. there is something
> else that is going own.to the, so it seems that there is something else that
> is affecting the computer boot.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "mouthbreather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > My HP notebook computer came with broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
> > wireless/bluetooth and it worked fine
> > until I installed a DSL line with sbc/yahoo and then I attempted to
> > install
> > a dell wireless
> > router and then I encountered a problem where my computer would not boot
> > up
> > an I had to restore the system to a previous date. Now the little wireless
> > icon in my toolbar says that the WLAN/bluetooth is constantly disabled
> > even
> > though the computer setup, the device manager, the wirelss button all say
> > it
> > is enabled, does anyone have any ideas?
> > thanks....

Lem

mouthbreather wrote:
> I am an idiot...I found the wireless button....please keep the laughing to a
> minimum...I still have a problem with setting up the router for a wireless
> network in my home though...could it be that the dell router is not
> compatible with my hp? or is there something else wrong?
>

> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> May be you can clarify what WIFI/Bluetooth means.
>> WIFI is one thing and Bluetooth is another and there is No functional
>> connection between them.
>> In addition DSL Modem connection and a Router are external devices, and are
>> not suppose to affect the computer's configuration. I.e. there is something
>> else that is going own.to the, so it seems that there is something else that
>> is affecting the computer boot.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>>
>> "mouthbreather" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi,
>>> My HP notebook computer came with broadcom 802.11a/b/g WLAN
>>> wireless/bluetooth and it worked fine
>>> until I installed a DSL line with sbc/yahoo and then I attempted to
>>> install
>>> a dell wireless
>>> router and then I encountered a problem where my computer would not boot
>>> up
>>> an I had to restore the system to a previous date. Now the little wireless
>>> icon in my toolbar says that the WLAN/bluetooth is constantly disabled
>>> even
>>> though the computer setup, the device manager, the wirelss button all say
>>> it
>>> is enabled, does anyone have any ideas?
>>> thanks....

Although anything that one of the big OEMs puts a proprietary label on
("Dell wireless router") is likely to have non-standard aspects, I find
it hard to believe that such a device would not be compatible with any
wifi device that meets the 802.11 standard. It kinda defeats the purpose.

Assuming you have WinXP service pack 2, see

If you still can't get thimgs working, post back with specific models of
router and pc, specific descriptions of what you've done and what the
results have been, including specific error messages (and you'll get
faster response if you start a new thread with a descriptive subject).