Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Multiple NET's on same vlan?

Multiple NET's on same vlan?

Michael Letchworth

I was given a task to correct a campus lan that has over 700 plus devices on
a single collision domain (vlan 1). The core switch is a 5509 with about 30
plus Cisco switches (i.e. 2924XL and 3548XL) connected by fiber. Since CatOS
is not my strong point, I need some questions answered. The current config
has a router to the internet that is not managed by any of the local IT
staff but via the upstream provider. The Ethernet port on the router has 4
networks configured 2 of them are private NAT'ed address on the same
interface. There is not VTP or VLAN tunneling configured on any switch. They
have a few ports setup for etherchannel in high traffic areas of the campus.

I'm going to install a PIX 515E and an RSM module in the 5509. I want to
break off the servers into their own vlan 10 and later device the switches
into geographic vlans but for now I will leave them in vlan 1 because I
can't have much down time. (I will create other vlans once I get the PIX and
RSM working).

Here is my problem or what Im not sure about. I have IP printers, servers
and other devices all over campus that are in different networks then that
of the workstations (4 networks on the same wire). This is working now
because the router has all networks on the same interface but now I'm
installing an PIX and a RSM module and configuring vlans. Is it possible to
assign 2 ip address in different networks to the same vlan? I don't have
enough time to setup up tunneling and add each port with printers and
devices to the proper vlan. Can I add a port on both vlan (multi vlan) and
let the RSM module route for me or could I just add a cross over cable from
one vlan to another?

Thanks for any advice.

Hansang Bae

In article <3dOsd.104517$tU4.32785@okepread06>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> I was given a task to correct a campus lan that has over 700 plus devices on
> a single collision domain (vlan 1). The core switch is a 5509 with about 30
> plus Cisco switches (i.e. 2924XL and 3548XL) connected by fiber. Since CatOS
> is not my strong point, I need some questions answered. The current config
> has a router to the internet that is not managed by any of the local IT
> staff but via the upstream provider. The Ethernet port on the router has 4
> networks configured 2 of them are private NAT'ed address on the same
> interface. There is not VTP or VLAN tunneling configured on any switch. They
> have a few ports setup for etherchannel in high traffic areas of the campus.
>
> I'm going to install a PIX 515E and an RSM module in the 5509. I want to
> break off the servers into their own vlan 10 and later device the switches
> into geographic vlans but for now I will leave them in vlan 1 because I
> can't have much down time. (I will create other vlans once I get the PIX and
> RSM working).
>
> Here is my problem or what Im not sure about. I have IP printers, servers
> and other devices all over campus that are in different networks then that
> of the workstations (4 networks on the same wire). This is working now
> because the router has all networks on the same interface but now I'm
> installing an PIX and a RSM module and configuring vlans. Is it possible to
> assign 2 ip address in different networks to the same vlan? I don't have
> enough time to setup up tunneling and add each port with printers and
> devices to the proper vlan. Can I add a port on both vlan (multi vlan) and
> let the RSM module route for me or could I just add a cross over cable from
> one vlan to another?

It almost sounds like you may be in over your head. Not meant as a
flame, just an observation based on your post.

Some things you need to think about:

1) CatOS commands take affect IMMEDIATELY. There is not "start
config" and "running config".
2) You can add secondary addresses to the VLAN interfaces under RSM
(RSM is just a 4K router - if I remember - running on a blade.
3) You may want to just duplicate the exact scenario you have under the
RSM and then gradually migrate the VLANs.
4) Add the command "ip route-cache same-interface" so that U turn
traffic on the same interface will be fast switched.
5) Document the network CAREFULLY before you start.

--

hsb