Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Network nat

Network nat

Taff

Howdy,
Can nat only be performed on connected networks or is there a way of natting
a source lan address of an inbound packet on another network coming in from
a serial interface (unfortunately the nat on the other network cannot be
natted on their local network).

I'd also like to change the destination address as well.

Could some give me some examples please.

Cheers.,
Taff.

Toby

"Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9qLsd.13784$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howdy,
> Can nat only be performed on connected networks or is there a way of
> natting
> a source lan address of an inbound packet on another network coming in
> from
> a serial interface (unfortunately the nat on the other network cannot be
> natted on their local network).
>
> I'd also like to change the destination address as well.
>
> Could some give me some examples please.
>
> Cheers.,
> Taff.

You have full control over NAT and can allow any source address/protocol you
wish to be granted access via access lists or route-maps. It comes down to
the command

ip nat inside source .................. statement in global config.

Toby

John Smith

or "ip nat outside source...."
assuming nat will take place on an ios router...

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6xLsd.1089$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9qLsd.13784$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Howdy,
>> Can nat only be performed on connected networks or is there a way of
>> natting
>> a source lan address of an inbound packet on another network coming in
>> from
>> a serial interface (unfortunately the nat on the other network cannot be
>> natted on their local network).
>>
>> I'd also like to change the destination address as well.
>>
>> Could some give me some examples please.
>>
>> Cheers.,
>> Taff.
>>

> You have full control over NAT and can allow any source address/protocol
> you wish to be granted access via access lists or route-maps. It comes
> down to the command
>
> ip nat inside source .................. statement in global config.
>
> Toby

Taff

How does this apply to the following:

Company X needs to talk to a server on Company Y lan. Company X has a frame
connection to Company Y using 192.168.10.0 addressing.
Company Y has another subnet on their Lan the same as Company X -
192.168.1.0

How do I change the source address of Company X Lan client addresses so the
server at Company Y can reply to the different subnet. I cannot make any
changes on the Company X router so all changes need to be done from the
Company Y router.

Company X Lan address - 192.168.1.0
Company X frame router address - 192.168.10.1

Company Y Lan address - 192.168.100.0
Company Y frame address - 192.168.10.2
Server - 192.168.100.100

Company X router:

Int faste0/0
ip address 192.168.1.1/24

int serial0
ip address 192.168.10.1/24

Ip route 0.0.0.0 .0.0.0.0 192.168.10.2

Company Y router: (also has dialer interface and natting for internet)

Int faste 0/0
ip address 192.168.100.1/24
ip nat inside

Int serial 0
ip address 192.168.10.2/24
ip nat ?

Int dialer0
ip nat outside

Any help with this config would be much appreciated.

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:6xLsd.1089$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9qLsd.13784$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Howdy,
> > Can nat only be performed on connected networks or is there a way of
> > natting
> > a source lan address of an inbound packet on another network coming in
> > from
> > a serial interface (unfortunately the nat on the other network cannot be
> > natted on their local network).
> >
> > I'd also like to change the destination address as well.
> >
> > Could some give me some examples please.
> >
> > Cheers.,
> > Taff.
> >

> You have full control over NAT and can allow any source address/protocol

you
> wish to be granted access via access lists or route-maps. It comes down to
> the command
>
> ip nat inside source .................. statement in global config.
>
> Toby

Toby

"Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FPLsd.13794$(E-Mail Removed)...
> How does this apply to the following:
>
> Company X needs to talk to a server on Company Y lan. Company X has a
> frame
> connection to Company Y using 192.168.10.0 addressing.
> Company Y has another subnet on their Lan the same as Company X -
> 192.168.1.0
>
> How do I change the source address of Company X Lan client addresses so
> the
> server at Company Y can reply to the different subnet. I cannot make any
> changes on the Company X router so all changes need to be done from the
> Company Y router.
>
> Company X Lan address - 192.168.1.0
> Company X frame router address - 192.168.10.1
>
> Company Y Lan address - 192.168.100.0
> Company Y frame address - 192.168.10.2
> Server - 192.168.100.100
>
> Company X router:
>
> Int faste0/0
> ip address 192.168.1.1/24
>
> int serial0
> ip address 192.168.10.1/24
>
> Ip route 0.0.0.0 .0.0.0.0 192.168.10.2
>

> Company Y router: (also has dialer interface and natting for internet)
>
> Int faste 0/0
> ip address 192.168.100.1/24
> ip nat inside
>
> Int serial 0
> ip address 192.168.10.2/24
> ip nat ?
>
> Int dialer0
> ip nat outside
>
> Any help with this config would be much appreciated.

Sorry but I cant see your problem. All that needs to be done is Y needs a
route back to the X LAN 192.168.1.0/24 over the serial interface.As you feel
a NAT solution is necessary then I can only conclude the problem has not yet
been illustrated here. As it stands just add a route from the Y Router back
to X for the LAN network of 192.168.1.0/24

Toby

Taff

Maybe I should explain further

Company Y has another subnet that overlaps with Company X ie 192.168.1.0.

The default route for the Company Y server connects to a layer 3 switch with
2 subnets. One 192.168.100.0 and the other 192.168.1.0 with a default route
to Company Y router. So I need to disguise the source address of the Company
X traffic so that the server (Comp Y) can route the traffic back to Company
X instead of the overlapped address on the layer 3 switch.

Hope that makes more sense!

I'm not sure how to setup the nat statements as theres already nat
statements on the Company Y router for their internet traffic.

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:zyMsd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:FPLsd.13794$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How does this apply to the following:
> >
> > Company X needs to talk to a server on Company Y lan. Company X has a
> > frame
> > connection to Company Y using 192.168.10.0 addressing.
> > Company Y has another subnet on their Lan the same as Company X -
> > 192.168.1.0
> >
> > How do I change the source address of Company X Lan client addresses so
> > the
> > server at Company Y can reply to the different subnet. I cannot make any
> > changes on the Company X router so all changes need to be done from the
> > Company Y router.
> >
> > Company X Lan address - 192.168.1.0
> > Company X frame router address - 192.168.10.1
> >
> > Company Y Lan address - 192.168.100.0
> > Company Y frame address - 192.168.10.2
> > Server - 192.168.100.100
> >
> > Company X router:
> >
> > Int faste0/0
> > ip address 192.168.1.1/24
> >
> > int serial0
> > ip address 192.168.10.1/24
> >
> > Ip route 0.0.0.0 .0.0.0.0 192.168.10.2
> >

> > Company Y router: (also has dialer interface and natting for internet)
> >
> > Int faste 0/0
> > ip address 192.168.100.1/24
> > ip nat inside
> >
> > Int serial 0
> > ip address 192.168.10.2/24
> > ip nat ?
> >
> > Int dialer0
> > ip nat outside
> >
> > Any help with this config would be much appreciated.
> >

> Sorry but I cant see your problem. All that needs to be done is Y needs a
> route back to the X LAN 192.168.1.0/24 over the serial interface.As you

feel
> a NAT solution is necessary then I can only conclude the problem has not

yet
> been illustrated here. As it stands just add a route from the Y Router

back
> to X for the LAN network of 192.168.1.0/24
>
> Toby

Toby

"Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:5EMsd.13805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe I should explain further
>
> Company Y has another subnet that overlaps with Company X ie 192.168.1.0.
>
> The default route for the Company Y server connects to a layer 3 switch
> with
> 2 subnets. One 192.168.100.0 and the other 192.168.1.0 with a default
> route
> to Company Y router. So I need to disguise the source address of the
> Company
> X traffic so that the server (Comp Y) can route the traffic back to
> Company
> X instead of the overlapped address on the layer 3 switch.
>
> Hope that makes more sense!
>
> I'm not sure how to setup the nat statements as theres already nat
> statements on the Company Y router for their internet traffic.
>

> "Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:zyMsd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:FPLsd.13794$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > How does this apply to the following:
>> >
>> > Company X needs to talk to a server on Company Y lan. Company X has a
>> > frame
>> > connection to Company Y using 192.168.10.0 addressing.
>> > Company Y has another subnet on their Lan the same as Company X -
>> > 192.168.1.0
>> >
>> > How do I change the source address of Company X Lan client addresses so
>> > the
>> > server at Company Y can reply to the different subnet. I cannot make
>> > any
>> > changes on the Company X router so all changes need to be done from the
>> > Company Y router.
>> >
>> > Company X Lan address - 192.168.1.0
>> > Company X frame router address - 192.168.10.1
>> >
>> > Company Y Lan address - 192.168.100.0
>> > Company Y frame address - 192.168.10.2
>> > Server - 192.168.100.100
>> >
>> > Company X router:
>> >
>> > Int faste0/0
>> > ip address 192.168.1.1/24
>> >
>> > int serial0
>> > ip address 192.168.10.1/24
>> >
>> > Ip route 0.0.0.0 .0.0.0.0 192.168.10.2
>> >

>> > Company Y router: (also has dialer interface and natting for internet)
>> >
>> > Int faste 0/0
>> > ip address 192.168.100.1/24
>> > ip nat inside
>> >
>> > Int serial 0
>> > ip address 192.168.10.2/24
>> > ip nat ?
>> >
>> > Int dialer0
>> > ip nat outside
>> >
>> > Any help with this config would be much appreciated.
>> >

>> Sorry but I cant see your problem. All that needs to be done is Y needs a
>> route back to the X LAN 192.168.1.0/24 over the serial interface.As you

> feel
>> a NAT solution is necessary then I can only conclude the problem has not

> yet
>> been illustrated here. As it stands just add a route from the Y Router

> back
>> to X for the LAN network of 192.168.1.0/24
>>
>> Toby

It seens to me that the best place to do what you want is on router X which
you have no control over using NAT to change the source address to the
interface of router x as the outside local address. I am not an expert in
NAT so dont know if you can achieve this or not from Router Y.

Hopefully now you have explained what you want someone else can help

Toby

Taff

Yep thats issue i'm up against at the moment. Thanks anyway!

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CNMsd.1286$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:5EMsd.13805$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Maybe I should explain further
> >
> > Company Y has another subnet that overlaps with Company X ie

192.168.1.0.

> > The default route for the Company Y server connects to a layer 3 switch
> > with
> > 2 subnets. One 192.168.100.0 and the other 192.168.1.0 with a default
> > route
> > to Company Y router. So I need to disguise the source address of the
> > Company
> > X traffic so that the server (Comp Y) can route the traffic back to
> > Company
> > X instead of the overlapped address on the layer 3 switch.
> >
> > Hope that makes more sense!
> >
> > I'm not sure how to setup the nat statements as theres already nat
> > statements on the Company Y router for their internet traffic.
> >

> > "Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:zyMsd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> "Taff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:FPLsd.13794$(E-Mail Removed)...

so

the

internet)

> >> Sorry but I cant see your problem. All that needs to be done is Y needs

> >> route back to the X LAN 192.168.1.0/24 over the serial interface.As you

> > feel
> >> a NAT solution is necessary then I can only conclude the problem has

not
> > yet
> >> been illustrated here. As it stands just add a route from the Y Router

> > back
> >> to X for the LAN network of 192.168.1.0/24
> >>
> >> Toby
> >>

> It seens to me that the best place to do what you want is on router X

which
> you have no control over using NAT to change the source address to the
> interface of router x as the outside local address. I am not an expert in
> NAT so dont know if you can achieve this or not from Router Y.
>
> Hopefully now you have explained what you want someone else can help
>
> Toby

Taff

Can anyone offer a solution for this ??????????

news:IgOsd.13821$(E-Mail Removed)...