Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Is a frame switch and an ISDN switch really needed?

Is a frame switch and an ISDN switch really needed?

owmanstubbedmytoe

I've been troubleshooting WAN links in the field for years, I now want to
play with some in my Cisco home lab (3 routers, 2 switches) before I
write the BCRAN and CIT exams.

Is this possible without an isdn/frame switch in the middle:
1) Connect one BRI interface to another through an ISDN crossover cable.
2) Connect serial interfaces via crossover cables to make a pseudo-WAN.

?

I only want to turn-up the interfaces, do some minor troubleshooting (cable
issues etc) and send data across the WAN links.

I'd like to know for sure before I buy another ISDN card and a bunch of
cables.

Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. wish me luck
(Sorry for the cross-post)

Acer0001

-- BRI interfaces need an ISDN circuit or simulator in the middle.
-- You can buy serial crossover (DB-60 to DB-60) at www.anthonypanda.com.

Acer0001

On Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:49:38 +0000, owmanstubbedmytoe wrote:

> I've been troubleshooting WAN links in the field for years, I now want to
> play with some in my Cisco home lab (3 routers, 2 switches) before I
> write the BCRAN and CIT exams.
>
> Is this possible without an isdn/frame switch in the middle:
> 1) Connect one BRI interface to another through an ISDN crossover cable.
> 2) Connect serial interfaces via crossover cables to make a pseudo-WAN.
>
> ?
>
> I only want to turn-up the interfaces, do some minor troubleshooting (cable
> issues etc) and send data across the WAN links.
>
> I'd like to know for sure before I buy another ISDN card and a bunch of
> cables.
>
> Any tips/advice is greatly appreciated. wish me luck
> (Sorry for the cross-post)

Doug McIntyre

"owmanstubbedmytoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I've been troubleshooting WAN links in the field for years, I now want to
>play with some in my Cisco home lab (3 routers, 2 switches) before I
>write the BCRAN and CIT exams.

>Is this possible without an isdn/frame switch in the middle:
>1) Connect one BRI interface to another through an ISDN crossover cable.

No, its not possible. You need a simulator, or BRI switch of some
kind. Adtran Atlas is what is used by many cisco labs. There are
several other less expensive solutions for simulating an ISDN switch.

>2) Connect serial interfaces via crossover cables to make a pseudo-WAN.

You can have a cisco router become a Frame Switch. Its covered in the
Frame documentation. You just need the right DTE->DCE cabling and
you're good to go.