Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VPN Concentrator Behind PIX?

VPN Concentrator Behind PIX?

Walter Roberson

In article <couvr6$(E-Mail Removed)>, sefoca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
:news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:> just a little fyi, cisco's official recommendation is to place the
:> concentrator in parallel with the pix... the external int. of the conc.
:will
:> have a public ip (just like the pix) and the internal interface of the
:conc.
:> will be connected to a dmz interface of the pix. this way , those coming
:> thru on the vpn can still be firewalled...

:Unfortunately, I only have two cards in the pix. It's a 515 so I have space
:for a DMZ, I just need to get the concentrator in place for the time being.

If you are using the PIX 6.3 software release, then your 515 will
support "logical interfaces", which is a virtual interface with a different
IP address range placed onto a physical interface. You can have
several logical interfaces with different IP ranges on the same physical
interface. In order for this to work, though, you have to have
a router or switch with IEEE 802.1Q VLAN support: each logical
interface corresponds to a different tagged VLAN.
-- Rich Kulawiec

verne