Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > about dtd

about dtd

hantechs@gmail.com

I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
element:
<!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

David Dorward

> I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
> element:
> <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
> what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3 covers that.

Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

hantechs@gmail.com

It's very helpful. Thank you.

David Dorward 写道:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
> > element:
> > <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
> > what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

> http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/sgmltut.html#h-3.3 covers that.

> Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

Peter Flynn

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I read the html specification and encounter the following dtd for LABEL
> element:
> <!ELEMENT LABEL - - (%inline* -(LABEL) -- form field label text -->
> what's the meaning of these dash? and %inline;? Thanks.

That's not XML, it's SGML.

The two dashes are minimization indicators for the start-tag and end-tag
respectively (here meaning that both must be present: don't forget that
SGML can allow start-tags and end-tags to be absent-but-implied);

The %inline; is a Parameter Entity: meaning exactlty the same as in XML,
that the parser substitutes the value of the entity declared earlier;

The minus before (LABEL) means it's an exclusion exception: LABEL may
not occur in the content of LABEL even if %inline; says it may (another
SGML feature omitted from XML);

The comment at the end between double dashes is just a comment, but this
syntax is also forbidden in XML.

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/