Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > vlans - monitoring bandwidth utliization

vlans - monitoring bandwidth utliization

Phil Schuman

in a simple non-vlan network,
I can pretty well tell how the Ethernet is being utilized
by a variety of techniques - passive & proactive...

But - after splitting things up into vlans,
how can I measure that utilization of the physical Ethernet ?

I mean, if I have taken the physical LAN and carved out a vlan,
how can I then see the real physical utilization of the Ethernet
connection
since all the packets are still going down that single 10/100mbit cable
?

Must I deploy a monitoring technique on EACH vlan
or is there a way to basically still see the real utilization of the
physical connection ?

anoop

Phil Schuman wrote:
> in a simple non-vlan network,
> I can pretty well tell how the Ethernet is being utilized
> by a variety of techniques - passive & proactive...
>
> But - after splitting things up into vlans,
> how can I measure that utilization of the physical Ethernet ?

Using VLANs won't change the way you measure the
utilization of the physical Ethernet. You could still use
the counters that count the number of frames/bytes
transmitted over a period of time to get the utilization.

> I mean, if I have taken the physical LAN and carved out a vlan,
> how can I then see the real physical utilization of the Ethernet
> connection
> since all the packets are still going down that single 10/100mbit cable
> ?
>
> Must I deploy a monitoring technique on EACH vlan
> or is there a way to basically still see the real utilization of the
> physical connection ?

As long as you don't care about the utilization by each
VLAN, your current techniques should continue to work
just fine. If you want to know utilization by VLAN and/or
priority, that becomes trickier because you need to find
a switch that maintains frame/byte counters on a per VLAN
and/or per priority basis.

Anoop

gagan

yes, u will have to deploy a monitoring technique on EACH vlan.
most of the commercial products in market use this technique.

like for example:
on some devices u can enable per-vlan-stats for a particular 10/100/Gig
link