Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Routing question

Routing question

coffin@isd.net

I have 2 routers

RouterA

E0 10.1.1.252 255.255.0.0
S0 10.53.1.1 255.255.255.252

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.101 (this is a internet interface of a
pix)

Point to point t1

RouterB

e0 10.3.1.1 255.255.0.0
s0 10.53.1.2 255.255.255.252

IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.53.1.1

RouterA can ping the internet fine

RouterB
I can ping 10.3.1.1 of course
I can ping 10.53.1.2
I can ping 10.53.1.1
I cant ping 10.1.1.252 and thus
I cant ping 10.1.1.101 or anything else on the LAN on routerA site

Am i missing somthing here?

I am also running eigrp with a network of 10.0.0.0

I am not running any nat and i think that is what i need here for
RouterB to communicate with the the lan and default gateway
(10.1.1.101) on RouterA's LAN.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Seth

Sounds good thus far. Do the eigrp autonomous system numbers match?

Btw, you might want to look into redistribute-static on RouterA. That way
you wouldn't need the default route on RouterB.

What does show ip route show? Are you learning any routes?

Toby

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have 2 routers
>

> RouterA
>
> E0 10.1.1.252 255.255.0.0
> S0 10.53.1.1 255.255.255.252
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.101 (this is a internet interface of a
> pix)
>

> Point to point t1
>
> RouterB
>
> e0 10.3.1.1 255.255.0.0
> s0 10.53.1.2 255.255.255.252
>
> IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.53.1.1
>
> RouterA can ping the internet fine
>
> RouterB
> I can ping 10.3.1.1 of course
> I can ping 10.53.1.2
> I can ping 10.53.1.1
> I cant ping 10.1.1.252 and thus
> I cant ping 10.1.1.101 or anything else on the LAN on routerA site
>
> Am i missing somthing here?
>
> I am also running eigrp with a network of 10.0.0.0
>
> I am not running any nat and i think that is what i need here for
> RouterB to communicate with the the lan and default gateway
> (10.1.1.101) on RouterA's LAN.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks

If you are pinging from RTRB to RTRA interface address of 10.1.1.252 it
should be successful even if EIGRP wasn't active.

The reasoning behind this is that The source address of the pings would be
your outgoing interface of RTRB i.e. 10.53.1.2 and the destination address
is 10.1.1.252.

RTRB would route to 10.1.1.252 via the default route pointing to 10.53.1.1
(although as this is a point to point link you would be better off for
diagnosis reasons using the command IP ROUTE 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0)

RTRA has a directly connected interface for 10.1.1.252 so this would be in
it's routing table.

The Echo reply would be able to get back to the original source as it is
also on a directly connected interface for RTRA/B.

As for NAT well this would have to be done on the PIX else you wouldn't have
Internet connectivity at all, but is not your problem.

Taking this at face value. either you have ACL blocking your pings or you
are using extended pings from RTRB sourcing the pings from the ethernet and
EIGRP isn't configured/working correctly so no return path is available or
you are trying to ping from outside of RTRB on the ethernet or behond and
the same reason applies.

Regards

Toby

Phillip Remaker

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I have 2 routers
>

> RouterA
>
> E0 10.1.1.252 255.255.0.0
> S0 10.53.1.1 255.255.255.252

You are running Variable Length Subnet Masks. Be sure to set "ip classless"
and tell us what version software you are running.

> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.1.1.101 (this is a internet interface of a
> pix)
>

> Point to point t1
>
> RouterB
>
> e0 10.3.1.1 255.255.0.0
> s0 10.53.1.2 255.255.255.252
>
> IP route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.53.1.1
>
> RouterA can ping the internet fine

How? You are running RFC1918 addressing. Where is the NAT?

> RouterB
> I can ping 10.3.1.1 of course
> I can ping 10.53.1.2
> I can ping 10.53.1.1
> I cant ping 10.1.1.252 and thus
> I cant ping 10.1.1.101 or anything else on the LAN on routerA site
> Am i missing somthing here?

Yes. Summary routes. You would also need to add

IP route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.53.1.1

on router A, unless you can see a route to the desired subnet in "show ip
route" Depending on how the rest of the network is set up, and how you are
doing route summarization.

> I am also running eigrp with a network of 10.0.0.0

Nore details. What does "show ip route" say? Are you learning the routes?

> I am not running any nat and i think that is what i need here for
> RouterB to communicate with the the lan and default gateway
> (10.1.1.101) on RouterA's LAN.
>
> Any thoughts?

Make sure IP classless is set, and check summarization. Variable Length
Sunet Masks can be crazy.