Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Tesco Internet Phone

Tesco Internet Phone

RX.3000

Hi

Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...

Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
the tesco software?

The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.

Cheers in advance

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh RX.3000:
> Hi
>
> Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
> 14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
>
> Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
> the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
> buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
> the tesco software?
>
> The handset is branded Internet Phone model E337.
>
> Cheers in advance

No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker and
mic attached to moulded plastic.

Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is better)
and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the others.

It's not too bad a price for the handset with the credit, but as you
have found the cost of the calls are rather high compared to other VoIP
services or even from you standard home phone.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Dayvem

> No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker and
> mic attached to moulded plastic.
>
> Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
> the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is better)
> and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the others.

Maybe

http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

Gordon Henderson

In article <OLHFg.5793$(E-Mail Removed)>,
RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
>Hi
>
>Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
>14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
>
>Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
>the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
>buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
>the tesco software?

It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
keyboard equivalents.

The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
"stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

Gordon

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Dayvem:
>> No unlocking required, it's just a glorified soundcard with speaker
>> and mic attached to moulded plastic.
>>
>> Can't remember the link, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with
>> the drivers for it to be used on VoipCheap, VoIPStunt (which is
>> better) and the other one which is slightly better still, plus the
>> others.

> Maybe
>
> http://www.yealink.com/en/otherdown.asp

Yes, I believe that's the one!

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

paul123

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <OLHFg.5793$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
> >14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
> >
> >Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
> >the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
> >buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
> >the tesco software?

> It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
> both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
> to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
> into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
> keyboard equivalents.
>
> The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
> "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.

That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.

The post I'm referring to was here:
http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...c975a66082bcdc

Gordon Henderson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
paul123 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <OLHFg.5793$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>> RX.3000 <RX.3000@RX.3000> wrote:
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >Picked one of these up today - USB handset and a fiver credit for
>> >14.97... calls made through the tesco software cost 2pm pretty much...
>> >
>> >Just wondered if anyone knows whether you can unlock this handset from
>> >the tesco software and for example set it up so that pressing the
>> >buttons on the handset brings up the voipcheap application instead of
>> >the tesco software?

>> It's a bog-standard USB device. Yealink phone. I got it to work OK under
>> both XP and Linux with X-Lite. There is an application called X-TenMate
>> to get the buttons to work under XP, and there is driver support built
>> into the latest Linux kernels that make the buttons just work like the
>> keyboard equivalents.
>>
>> The sound quality seems more than adequate. The coily lead is a bit
>> "stiff" though, but it'll ride up with wear...

>Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
>always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
>blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.
>
>That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
>
>The post I'm referring to was here:
>http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...c975a66082bcdc

Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
system... Money well spent I reckon! I might even try to install their
s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is, as you say,
overpriced!)

Gordon

paul123

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> paul123 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones, I
> >always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for the
> >blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced service.
> >
> >That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
> >
> >The post I'm referring to was here:
> >http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...c975a66082bcdc

> Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
> worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
> system... Money well spent I reckon!

After all, it's only 15 knicker.

> I might even try to install their
> s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is, as you say,
> overpriced!)

As I qualified myself..."for many it could be a stepping stone to
better things."

However, in terms of numbers and perspectives.... 5 quid credit with
Tesco is worth 250 minutes in calls to UK landlines......the 15 quid
asking price is close on 22 - or 8 months calling to UK landlines
on voipstunt etc at 300 mins per week... and you could still have that
22 credit on your account.

Graham

> Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
> worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an asterisk
> system... Money well spent I reckon!

After all, it's only 15 knicker.

And for 5 knickers more I got a PAP2 from Comet a few months ago.
Now that WAS good value.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

jasee

paul123 wrote:
> Gordon Henderson wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>> paul123 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> Sorry, but every time I hear someone talk about these Tesco phones,
>>> I always think of Peter Corlett's post where he says he'll wait for
>>> the blue Value version... Classic! Sums it up as an overpriced
>>> service.
>>>
>>> That said, for many it could be a stepping stone to better things.
>>>
>>> The post I'm referring to was here:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/uk.te...c975a66082bcdc

>> Haha - Very good! I only bought it as I though I't might actually be
>> worth 15 quid to see how USB handsets worked under Linux with an
>> asterisk system... Money well spent I reckon!

> After all, it's only 15 knicker.
>
>> I might even try to install their
>> s/ware just to use the fivers worth of call credit too... (Which is,
>> as you say, overpriced!)

> As I qualified myself..."for many it could be a stepping stone to
> better things."
>
> However, in terms of numbers and perspectives.... 5 quid credit with
> Tesco is worth 250 minutes in calls to UK landlines......the 15 quid
> asking price is close on ? 22 - or 8 months calling to UK landlines
> on voipstunt etc at 300 mins per week... and you could still have that
> ?22 credit on your account.

Yes, but topping up 10 gives you an extra 1,000 clubcard points <g> enough
for about 10 blockbuster rentals!