Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > i'm not having any luck with this problem

i'm not having any luck with this problem

adolf

hi thanks microsoft for providing a forum like this so that us 'customers'
can get help, answers or results that we may need.

ok here is my problem....
i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago. i lost
connection and couldn't remotely connect to the router like i used to so i
hit the old reset button and started all over. i renamed my ssid and changed
my security settings just in case. after re doing everything again,
everything seemed back to usual and running great. signal and link strength
shows excellent so no problem there. every now & then, i'll get a cannot
connect to the internet sometimes but besides that all seems to be great.

that is, till i start to download a file no matter what size or stream a
video again, no matter the size. what happens is my speed will start off
super great then it will drop dramatically till it reaches zero then after a
few seconds go up in speed then drop to zero. this happens with any
application i use. from get right (download manager) or internet explorer
for files, wmp to stream videos, or any media player to stream videos. i've
ran the netcheck (which took almost 5 minutes to download)and it tells me
'everything seems configured correctly & no problems detected' and Windows
XP netdiag tools to check my settings and it also finds nothing.

what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
problem or can anybody help me please?

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 19-Aug-2006, "adolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> ok here is my problem....
> i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
> extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago.

Maybe it's interference, another competeing signal source, cellphone,
DECT phone, video sender, another nearby BB.

> what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
> mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
> problem or can anybody help me please?

Is it time of day sensitive?
Any better in the wee small hours?
Maybe ISP traffic shaping?
Neither I nor many reviewers rank D-Link kit very high. They
seem to keep changing their kit and suppliers, often the
install CD doesn't match the kit.
Can you try a CAT5 hardwired link?

=?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?=

Have you tried to close some of your programs down start run type (mscofig)
then click the startup tab button. ? sounds like you need to reformat your
hole server again.

"adolf" wrote:

> hi thanks microsoft for providing a forum like this so that us 'customers'
> can get help, answers or results that we may need.
>
> ok here is my problem....
> i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
> extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago. i lost
> connection and couldn't remotely connect to the router like i used to so i
> hit the old reset button and started all over. i renamed my ssid and changed
> my security settings just in case. after re doing everything again,
> everything seemed back to usual and running great. signal and link strength
> shows excellent so no problem there. every now & then, i'll get a cannot
> connect to the internet sometimes but besides that all seems to be great.
>
> that is, till i start to download a file no matter what size or stream a
> video again, no matter the size. what happens is my speed will start off
> super great then it will drop dramatically till it reaches zero then after a
> few seconds go up in speed then drop to zero. this happens with any
> application i use. from get right (download manager) or internet explorer
> for files, wmp to stream videos, or any media player to stream videos. i've
> ran the netcheck (which took almost 5 minutes to download)and it tells me
> 'everything seems configured correctly & no problems detected' and Windows
> XP netdiag tools to check my settings and it also finds nothing.
>
> what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
> mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
> problem or can anybody help me please?

adolf

sorry for replying late and thank you for replying to my post. ok now back
to your question, not to sound ignorant but what exactly do you mean & how
do i go about that?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried to close some of your programs down start run type
> (mscofig)
> then click the startup tab button. ? sounds like you need to reformat your
> hole server again.
>
> "adolf" wrote:
>
>> hi thanks microsoft for providing a forum like this so that us
>> 'customers'
>> can get help, answers or results that we may need.
>>
>> ok here is my problem....
>> i have the WUSB54G ver. 4 adapter, a WRT54GX2 router and a D-Link G710
>> extender. all used to work excellent until a few days ago. i lost
>> connection and couldn't remotely connect to the router like i used to so
>> hit the old reset button and started all over. i renamed my ssid and
>> changed
>> my security settings just in case. after re doing everything again,
>> everything seemed back to usual and running great. signal and link
>> strength
>> shows excellent so no problem there. every now & then, i'll get a cannot
>> connect to the internet sometimes but besides that all seems to be great.
>>
>> that is, till i start to download a file no matter what size or stream a
>> video again, no matter the size. what happens is my speed will start off
>> super great then it will drop dramatically till it reaches zero then
>> after a
>> few seconds go up in speed then drop to zero. this happens with any
>> application i use. from get right (download manager) or internet
>> explorer
>> for files, wmp to stream videos, or any media player to stream videos.
>> i've
>> ran the netcheck (which took almost 5 minutes to download)and it tells me
>> 'everything seems configured correctly & no problems detected' and
>> Windows
>> XP netdiag tools to check my settings and it also finds nothing.
>>
>> what could be causing my speed to increase and decrease so dramatically?
>> mind you at all times it shows excellent strength. has anybody had this
>> problem or can anybody help me please?

i'm not having any luck with this problem continued from previous post adolf Wireless Networking 1 08-24-2006 08:47 PM
Any luck with unprintable chars in string during debug? Edwin Knoppert ASP .Net 0 11-14-2005 04:47 PM
Any luck? loku Firefox 2 02-13-2005 04:51 AM
Re: Any luck using phones in flight mode? Imya Rek Cisco 0 02-10-2004 01:33 AM

Advertisments