Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX 501 PAT question

PIX 501 PAT question

Lou

I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
public dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
to the outside world?

Thanks, Lou

Paul Cocker

I would have thought it's getting this info from Internet Explorer.

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MvPrd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
>public dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
>I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
>both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
>incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
>to the outside world?
>
> Thanks, Lou

Walter Roberson

In article <MvPrd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Lou <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
ublic dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
:I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
:both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
:incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
:to the outside world?

Doing some digging, the site appears to request that a cookie be set
to the your IP address. Your browser knows the IP address by its local
value, so it's the local value that gets put into the cookie. The cookie
then gets transmitted to the site and their end reads it off.
--
Before responding, take into account the possibility that the Universe
was created just an instant ago, and that you have not actually read

Lou

Thanks Paul & Walter for the helpful replies!

Lou

"Lou" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MvPrd.1985$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a PIX 501 between my LAN and a cable modem. My ISP provides one
>public dynamic IP address. The PIX uses PAT for address translation. When
>I go to auditmypc.com and perform a firewall test, the web site indicates
>both my public and local IP addresses. Is my PIX configured improperly or
>incompletely? Shouldn't the local IP address (192.168.1.X) be "invisible"
>to the outside world?
>
> Thanks, Lou

Static PAT overrides Dynamic Pat - Pix 515e BinSur Cisco 4 01-13-2006 09:44 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
PIX 501 and inbound NAT/PAT Alex Cisco 2 08-10-2004 10:41 PM
Nat/Pat-problem with pix 501 Martin Edwards Cisco 7 07-22-2004 10:20 PM
Assistance with PIX 501 (6.3) and VPN thru PAT B Creed Cisco 2 07-18-2003 09:34 PM

Advertisments