Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Sipgate Security Code

Sipgate Security Code

Les Desser

I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
to process the payment.

Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
to stop?
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

alexd

Les Desser wrote:

> I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
> had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
> to process the payment.
>
> Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
> to stop?

Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

18:28:59 up 23 days, 23:51, 2 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.18
This is my BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMSTICK

Les Desser

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, alexd <(E-Mail Removed)> Thu, 17 Aug
2006 17:29:19 writes

>Les Desser wrote:
>
>> I just put some credit into my Sipgate account for the first time and
>> had to call 10200 from my sip line to obtain a security code to be able
>> to process the payment.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why this should be necessary. What are they trying
>> to stop?

>Credit card fraud, presumably by bots.

Don't quite follow that.

I can see that the need to call would eliminate the possibility of bots
being involved, but I still do not see what type of fraud would be
involved that could not be equally well done by a human.

--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

Ivor Jones

"Les Desser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)

[snip]

> I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
> possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
> see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
> be equally well done by a human.

It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
account. Any further payments won't require a code.

Ivor

Les Desser

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ivor Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> Fri, 18 Aug 2006 01:33:18 writes

>"Les Desser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)
>
>[snip]
>
>> I can see that the need to call would eliminate the
>> possibility of bots being involved, but I still do not
>> see what type of fraud would be involved that could not
>> be equally well done by a human.

>It only ever needs to be done once, the first time you ever credit the
>account. Any further payments won't require a code.

I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
being stopped by having this requirement.

Not something I will loose sleep over but just intrigued as to what harm
can be done by anyone crediting an account with some money.
--
Les Desser
(The Reply-to address IS valid)

PhilT

Les Desser wrote:

> I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
> being stopped by having this requirement.

a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

Phil

Les Desser

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
PhilT <(E-Mail Removed)> Fri, 18 Aug 2006 05:41:58 writes

>Les Desser wrote:
>
>> I accept that, but just like to understand what fraud (or other) is
>> being stopped by having this requirement.

>a stupidity check that you are putting the money on the right account ?

Possibly, but then I think it would be appropriate to do this on every
top-up. The only cause for confusion I can think of is someone having
several accounts, in which case the confusion could arise every time.