Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Configure Wireless Sharing

Configure Wireless Sharing

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=

Hi,

I have read quite a few posts but not really sure what to do. I am really
new to wireless networking and appreciate if you guys can be patient with me.
Currently, I have a desktop connected to the router that connects to the
internet. I also have a labtop that connects to the router using a wireless
card. Both computers are able to connect to the web successfully.

Both my labtop and desktop are using Zonealarm and
OS is Win XP Pro SP2 for both computers. I am trying to allow both my
desktop and labtop to retrieve or write information to each other's hard
disk. Sometimes i would like to get certain information from my desktop and
find it a hassle to use a
thumb drive to transfer data back and forth.

I disabled Zonealarm on both computers but still unable to communicate. I
have 2 accounts with the same username and same password. But i always get an
error message such as "\\comp is not accessible. You might not have
permission to use this network resources ..."

And i am sure that i have set the security and sharing access rights for the
folders that i wish to access. Any ideas? Thanks

Eric Cross [MVP]

Hello,

Make sure you have ZoneAlarm properly configured for the local area network.
A misconfigured firewall can block file and printer sharing. Details here.

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n&lid=zasupp_h

--
Eric Cross
Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)

"shaoen01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have read quite a few posts but not really sure what to do. I am really
> new to wireless networking and appreciate if you guys can be patient with
> me.
> Currently, I have a desktop connected to the router that connects to the
> internet. I also have a labtop that connects to the router using a
> wireless
> card. Both computers are able to connect to the web successfully.
>
> Both my labtop and desktop are using Zonealarm and
> OS is Win XP Pro SP2 for both computers. I am trying to allow both my
> desktop and labtop to retrieve or write information to each other's hard
> disk. Sometimes i would like to get certain information from my desktop
> and
> find it a hassle to use a
> thumb drive to transfer data back and forth.
>
> I disabled Zonealarm on both computers but still unable to communicate. I
> have 2 accounts with the same username and same password. But i always get
> an
> error message such as "\\comp is not accessible. You might not have
> permission to use this network resources ..."
>
> And i am sure that i have set the security and sharing access rights for
> the
> folders that i wish to access. Any ideas? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=

Hi Eric,

I disabled my Zonealarm just in case it is indeed the firewall that is
causing this problem. But i am still unable to access folders in any of the
computers.

I still keep getting the same error message. And when i looked in my network
places, i can see my labtop on my desktop but when i click on it, the above
error mentioned appears.

But in my labtop, i am unable to view my desktop in my network places.
Suggestions?

"Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Make sure you have ZoneAlarm properly configured for the local area network.
> A misconfigured firewall can block file and printer sharing. Details here.
>
> http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n&lid=zasupp_h
>
> --
> Eric Cross
> Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
>

> "shaoen01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have read quite a few posts but not really sure what to do. I am really
> > new to wireless networking and appreciate if you guys can be patient with
> > me.
> > Currently, I have a desktop connected to the router that connects to the
> > internet. I also have a labtop that connects to the router using a
> > wireless
> > card. Both computers are able to connect to the web successfully.
> >
> > Both my labtop and desktop are using Zonealarm and
> > OS is Win XP Pro SP2 for both computers. I am trying to allow both my
> > desktop and labtop to retrieve or write information to each other's hard
> > disk. Sometimes i would like to get certain information from my desktop
> > and
> > find it a hassle to use a
> > thumb drive to transfer data back and forth.
> >
> > I disabled Zonealarm on both computers but still unable to communicate. I
> > have 2 accounts with the same username and same password. But i always get
> > an
> > error message such as "\\comp is not accessible. You might not have
> > permission to use this network resources ..."
> >
> > And i am sure that i have set the security and sharing access rights for
> > the
> > folders that i wish to access. Any ideas? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?c2pkNzgyMDAx?=

HI I am having the same problem, I am using Norton on both the firewalls are
configured ok, I can see the laptop from the desktop but not the other way, i
have pinged both computers and that works ok, but when i use net view\\ i can
see shared files on laptop but not the desktop unless i use net view on the
desktop computer.

any suloution woud be great.

"shaoen01" wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I disabled my Zonealarm just in case it is indeed the firewall that is
> causing this problem. But i am still unable to access folders in any of the
> computers.
>
> I still keep getting the same error message. And when i looked in my network
> places, i can see my labtop on my desktop but when i click on it, the above
> error mentioned appears.
>
> But in my labtop, i am unable to view my desktop in my network places.
> Suggestions?
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Make sure you have ZoneAlarm properly configured for the local area network.
> > A misconfigured firewall can block file and printer sharing. Details here.
> >
> > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n&lid=zasupp_h
> >
> > --
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "shaoen01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have read quite a few posts but not really sure what to do. I am really
> > > new to wireless networking and appreciate if you guys can be patient with
> > > me.
> > > Currently, I have a desktop connected to the router that connects to the
> > > internet. I also have a labtop that connects to the router using a
> > > wireless
> > > card. Both computers are able to connect to the web successfully.
> > >
> > > Both my labtop and desktop are using Zonealarm and
> > > OS is Win XP Pro SP2 for both computers. I am trying to allow both my
> > > desktop and labtop to retrieve or write information to each other's hard
> > > disk. Sometimes i would like to get certain information from my desktop
> > > and
> > > find it a hassle to use a
> > > thumb drive to transfer data back and forth.
> > >
> > > I disabled Zonealarm on both computers but still unable to communicate. I
> > > have 2 accounts with the same username and same password. But i always get
> > > an
> > > error message such as "\\comp is not accessible. You might not have
> > > permission to use this network resources ..."
> > >
> > > And i am sure that i have set the security and sharing access rights for
> > > the
> > > folders that i wish to access. Any ideas? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=

I realized that i am able to view both my labtop and desktop computers in my
network places. But it does not allow me to view the shared files. Can
someone please help! Thanks

"shaoen01" wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I disabled my Zonealarm just in case it is indeed the firewall that is
> causing this problem. But i am still unable to access folders in any of the
> computers.
>
> I still keep getting the same error message. And when i looked in my network
> places, i can see my labtop on my desktop but when i click on it, the above
> error mentioned appears.
>
> But in my labtop, i am unable to view my desktop in my network places.
> Suggestions?
>
> "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Make sure you have ZoneAlarm properly configured for the local area network.
> > A misconfigured firewall can block file and printer sharing. Details here.
> >
> > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n&lid=zasupp_h
> >
> > --
> > Eric Cross
> > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> >

> > "shaoen01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have read quite a few posts but not really sure what to do. I am really
> > > new to wireless networking and appreciate if you guys can be patient with
> > > me.
> > > Currently, I have a desktop connected to the router that connects to the
> > > internet. I also have a labtop that connects to the router using a
> > > wireless
> > > card. Both computers are able to connect to the web successfully.
> > >
> > > Both my labtop and desktop are using Zonealarm and
> > > OS is Win XP Pro SP2 for both computers. I am trying to allow both my
> > > desktop and labtop to retrieve or write information to each other's hard
> > > disk. Sometimes i would like to get certain information from my desktop
> > > and
> > > find it a hassle to use a
> > > thumb drive to transfer data back and forth.
> > >
> > > I disabled Zonealarm on both computers but still unable to communicate. I
> > > have 2 accounts with the same username and same password. But i always get
> > > an
> > > error message such as "\\comp is not accessible. You might not have
> > > permission to use this network resources ..."
> > >
> > > And i am sure that i have set the security and sharing access rights for
> > > the
> > > folders that i wish to access. Any ideas? Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?QklPIE1lZA==?=

"shaoen01" wrote:

> I realized that i am able to view both my labtop and desktop computers in my
> network places. But it does not allow me to view the shared files. Can
> someone please help! Thanks
>
> "shaoen01" wrote:
>
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > I disabled my Zonealarm just in case it is indeed the firewall that is
> > causing this problem. But i am still unable to access folders in any of the
> > computers.
> >
> > I still keep getting the same error message. And when i looked in my network
> > places, i can see my labtop on my desktop but when i click on it, the above
> > error mentioned appears.
> >
> > But in my labtop, i am unable to view my desktop in my network places.
> > Suggestions?
> >
> > "Eric Cross [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Make sure you have ZoneAlarm properly configured for the local area network.
> > > A misconfigured firewall can block file and printer sharing. Details here.
> > >
> > > http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...n&lid=zasupp_h
> > >
> > > --
> > > Eric Cross
> > > Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > >

> > > "shaoen01" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news(E-Mail Removed)...

> > > Get rid of the Win firewall and turn off simple file sharing in the tools\folder options\view.

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=

Hi,

I have already disabled simple sharing and i did not use the Win firewall.

"BIO Med" wrote:

> "shaoen01" wrote:
>
> > I realized that i am able to view both my labtop and desktop computers in my
> > network places. But it does not allow me to view the shared files. Can
> > someone please help! Thanks
> >
> > "shaoen01" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Eric,
> > >
> > > I disabled my Zonealarm just in case it is indeed the firewall that is
> > > causing this problem. But i am still unable to access folders in any of the
> > > computers.
> > >
> > > I still keep getting the same error message. And when i looked in my network
> > > places, i can see my labtop on my desktop but when i click on it, the above
> > > error mentioned appears.
> > >
> > > But in my labtop, i am unable to view my desktop in my network places.
> > > Suggestions?

=?Utf-8?B?QklPIE1lZA==?=

Ok then, Lets get down and dirty. I assume the administrator passwords match
on both machines if not make them the same. I also assume you ran the
wonderful network wizard, im sorry if you did. If so, rerun both machines
with the "i do not have a network yet" (under other in the wizard)This gets
you back to original. Rerun the wizard again as "directly through a network
hub" Rename the network to something other than mshome. Go back turn off the
firewall. ( you may need to reboot a couple of times to get rid of the
gateway adapter)

"shaoen01" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have already disabled simple sharing and i did not use the Win firewall.
>
> "BIO Med" wrote:
>

> > "shaoen01" wrote:
> >
> > > I realized that i am able to view both my labtop and desktop computers in my
> > > network places. But it does not allow me to view the shared files. Can
> > > someone please help! Thanks

=?Utf-8?B?c2hhb2VuMDE=?=

Hi,

I did run the network wizard before and i rerun it again twice. Once for
Others> I do not have a network and then Others> Computer connected to a hub

And i restarted my computer once and how will i know if the gateway adapter
is removed? I even disabled my Firewall and my grifsoft AVG Anti-virus. But
my desktop could not even go to the workgroup on the network.

The error message is "Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have the
permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this
server to find out if you have permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available."

I run the network wizard on both computers. But my labtop shows the same
error as mentioned in my first post, "\\comp is not accessible. You might not
have
permission to use this network resources ..."

What should i do next?

Thanks