Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Download more than 1 file

Download more than 1 file

Gary

Hi

I'm using client-side JavaScript to set window.location.href to an
ASP.NET page that outputs an audio file; the user is prompted for the
download location. I would also like to download an XML file when the
audio file has finished downloading. I've been experimenting with
opening a new window for the XML download, but it doesn't seem like a
very good solution. Any ideas?

Kevin Spencer

The browser is only going to download one file at a time. You can create a
zip file with the 2 files in it. You can create an installation file
(executable) that contains both files and installs them. Or you can create
an ActiveX control or Java Applet (or SWF) that does the work in the
browser.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Chicken Salad Surgery

Orange you bland I stopped splaying bananas?

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi
>
> I'm using client-side JavaScript to set window.location.href to an
> ASP.NET page that outputs an audio file; the user is prompted for the
> download location. I would also like to download an XML file when the
> audio file has finished downloading. I've been experimenting with
> opening a new window for the XML download, but it doesn't seem like a
> very good solution. Any ideas?

Gary

If I set window.location.href for the first file, and then use
window.open for the second file, the user is prompted for the download
location for each file, and both files download, but I can't find a way
of closing the extra window that I've created. I know I could implement
one of your suggestions; I just wondered if there was an alternative.

Kevin Spencer wrote:
> The browser is only going to download one file at a time. You can create a
> zip file with the 2 files in it. You can create an installation file
> (executable) that contains both files and installs them. Or you can create
> an ActiveX control or Java Applet (or SWF) that does the work in the
> browser.
>
> --
> HTH,
>
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft MVP
> Chicken Salad Surgery
>
> Orange you bland I stopped splaying bananas?
>

> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Hi
> >
> > I'm using client-side JavaScript to set window.location.href to an
> > ASP.NET page that outputs an audio file; the user is prompted for the
> > download location. I would also like to download an XML file when the
> > audio file has finished downloading. I've been experimenting with
> > opening a new window for the XML download, but it doesn't seem like a
> > very good solution. Any ideas?

Kevin Spencer

Yes, my suggestions are the alternatives.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Chicken Salad Surgery

Orange you bland I stopped splaying bananas?

"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> If I set window.location.href for the first file, and then use
> window.open for the second file, the user is prompted for the download
> location for each file, and both files download, but I can't find a way
> of closing the extra window that I've created. I know I could implement
> one of your suggestions; I just wondered if there was an alternative.
>
> Kevin Spencer wrote:
>> The browser is only going to download one file at a time. You can create
>> zip file with the 2 files in it. You can create an installation file
>> (executable) that contains both files and installs them. Or you can
>> create
>> an ActiveX control or Java Applet (or SWF) that does the work in the
>> browser.
>>
>> --
>> HTH,
>>
>> Kevin Spencer
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Chicken Salad Surgery
>>
>> Orange you bland I stopped splaying bananas?
>>

>> "Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > I'm using client-side JavaScript to set window.location.href to an
>> > ASP.NET page that outputs an audio file; the user is prompted for the
>> > download location. I would also like to download an XML file when the
>> > audio file has finished downloading. I've been experimenting with
>> > opening a new window for the XML download, but it doesn't seem like a
>> > very good solution. Any ideas?

Gary

Oh right. Well that's that then.