Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Connection between a lan-connected pc and a wireless connected

Connection between a lan-connected pc and a wireless connected

=?Utf-8?B?Q2lhY2NpaG9tZQ==?=

I have a router who shares my high-speed internet connection between my two
computers. one is connected by LAN to the router and the other by wireless...
Now the question is: can i create bridge connections to share the hard disks
and files of the 2 pcs?? I don't know what to do because no one of the 2 can
see the other... Workgroups???
Thanks

Malke

Ciaccihome wrote:

> I have a router who shares my high-speed internet connection between my
> two computers. one is connected by LAN to the router and the other by
> wireless... Now the question is: can i create bridge connections to share
> the hard disks and files of the 2 pcs?? I don't know what to do because no
> one of the 2 can see the other... Workgroups???
> Thanks

You don't need to create a bridge - you've already got a router and Internet
connection on both machines. You just need to set up your local area
network (lan) sharing. Here is some basic information:

Run the Network Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File &
Printer Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on
the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or
have an antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06)
which acts as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party
firewall software, configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as
trusted. I usually do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
File Sharing enabled.

Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
situation.

home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User