Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless and dhcp

Wireless and dhcp

=?Utf-8?B?aXZh?=

I have network that's running ad, dc and since recently dhcp on win2003.
Recently we implemented ISA for testing purposes,and also our LAN clients
were getting IPs from dhcp on linux, but we set up dhcp on win also.
everything works fine except for one thing - we have 5 AP and all of them use
to work (prior to above described changes) and now only one works (Linksys
wrv54g). Other APs are configured with static addresses, we tryed enabling
and disabling dhcp on them, but every time a client connects - he gets
message "limited or no connectivity" - he doesn't get ip address. So, I'm not
sure what we are doing wrong, but any help would be appreciated. Should this
work by default - client sees wireless, connects trough AP, "reaches" server
on which DHCP is running and gets its ip? APs we used are D-link
DWL-2000AP+..

ato_zee@hotmail.com

On 17-Aug-2006, =?Utf-8?B?aXZh?= <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Should this
> work by default - client sees wireless, connects trough AP, "reaches" server
> on which DHCP is running and gets its ip? APs we used are D-link
> DWL-2000AP+..

Never had any success with D-Link stuff, in common with many
reviewers of kit. But that aside, I suspect, based on experience,
that DHCP is a one shot attempt to obtain an address, if it
fails due to a bad wireless link, a timeout because traffic has
priority over handing out DHCP leases, or an SSID problem,
it sits and waits forever.
With static addresses you bypass DHCP.
Network packet monitoring should see the DHCP request
packet (source), the response (if any), and to which IP address
the response is directed to (destination). As well as the timing.