Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > WiFi Interference: Is 802.11a and better than b/g ?

WiFi Interference: Is 802.11a and better than b/g ?

Al Dykes

Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
interference than 802.11b/g is ?

Do 5Ghz cordless phones share spectrum with 802.11a ?

I've got a user in a 100 year-old building in Manhattan (plaster walls
and 16 ft ceilings) who wants me to put in a 20 desk network.
Installing copper in this office would be a huge job.

The office is a couple thousand sq ft, divided with sheetrock walls,
which are OK for WiFi signal strength. A test of 802.11b WiFi finds 8
other networks (!), some of them with strong signals. Did I say all
the offices have large windows overlooking other nearby office
buildings ?

This guy depends on his computer network to meet hard business
deadlines and I won't put in a b/g WiFi network and have it screw up
on him. An "a" network would at least be oblivious to the b/g networks
in the area.

Comments ?

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----

Airhead

"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cokvj3$ab0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
> interference than 802.11b/g is ?

Yes, because there are less "a" networks to interfere. BG has to
compete with other wireless lans, microwave ovens, baby monitors and
2.4 phones.
For co-location there are also 8 non-overlapping channels available
instead of 3.
Note: any narrowband or all-band interference could affect either one
if in their frequency.

> Do 5Ghz cordless phones share spectrum with 802.11a ?

No, 802.11a uses the UNII lower and middle band indoors (5.15 to
5.25ghz and 5.25 to 5.35ghz). (reserved for wireless lans)
5 ghz phones use the ISM band of 5.725 to 5.875 or somewhere in that
area.

> I've got a user in a 100 year-old building in Manhattan (plaster

walls
> and 16 ft ceilings) who wants me to put in a 20 desk network.
> Installing copper in this office would be a huge job.
>
> The office is a couple thousand sq ft, divided with sheetrock walls,
> which are OK for WiFi signal strength. A test of 802.11b WiFi finds

8
> other networks (!), some of them with strong signals. Did I say all
> the offices have large windows overlooking other nearby office
> buildings ?
>
> This guy depends on his computer network to meet hard business
> deadlines and I won't put in a b/g WiFi network and have it screw up
> on him. An "a" network would at least be oblivious to the b/g

networks
> in the area.
>
> Comments ?

I agree, sounds like the best solution for the circumstances

> --
> a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
> ----

RusH

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote :

> Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
> interference than 802.11b/g is ?

a has DFS in specs, thats the only reason besides frequency

> Comments ?

go for a,but dont forget to VPN every single bit on his network

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH //
http://randki.o2.pl/profil.php?id_r=352019

Hansang Bae

In article <cokvj3$ab0$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
> interference than 802.11b/g is ?
>
> Do 5Ghz cordless phones share spectrum with 802.11a ?
>
> I've got a user in a 100 year-old building in Manhattan (plaster walls
> and 16 ft ceilings) who wants me to put in a 20 desk network.
> Installing copper in this office would be a huge job.
>
> The office is a couple thousand sq ft, divided with sheetrock walls,
> which are OK for WiFi signal strength. A test of 802.11b WiFi finds 8
> other networks (!), some of them with strong signals. Did I say all
> the offices have large windows overlooking other nearby office
> buildings ?
>
> This guy depends on his computer network to meet hard business
> deadlines and I won't put in a b/g WiFi network and have it screw up
> on him. An "a" network would at least be oblivious to the b/g networks
> in the area.

Just keep in mind that "A" also deteriorates considerably with distance.

Something to keep in mind when you're planning it out. I like my 1200
with 802.11A module.

--

hsb

Simon Leinen

RusH writes:
> (E-Mail Removed) (Al Dykes) wrote :
>> Is there any reaason why 802.11a should be any more immune to
>> interference than 802.11b/g is ?

> a has DFS in specs, thats the only reason besides frequency

And the band usable for 802.11a provides more channels, thus more
non-overlapping channels.
--
Simon.