Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > SQL Server does not allow remote connections

SQL Server does not allow remote connections

3Dfelix

Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.

When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)

thanks

Willem

Just a wild guess, but are you accessing a MDF which is marked
read-only by any chance?

=?Utf-8?B?SmF2?=

In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you should
see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make sure
it is checked.

That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the same
error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
Jav

"3Dfelix" wrote:

> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>
> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> Server/Instance Specified)
>
> thanks

cowznofsky

You know, at home I just applied xp sp2 to one of my computers, and now
I cannot connect to its instance of SQLServer from another computer.

I'll have to check this. I wonder if it got turned off by the sp2
installation.

Jav wrote:
> In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
> Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you should
> see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make sure
> it is checked.
>
> That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the same
> error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
> Jav
>
> "3Dfelix" wrote:
>
> > Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
> > in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
> >
> > When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
> > that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> > connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> > Server/Instance Specified)
> >
> > thanks

3Dfelix

Hi Jav,

Thanks for your reply, but I haven't got SQL Management Studio, I'm using
SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS.

thanks

"Jav" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
> Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you
> should
> see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make
> sure
> it is checked.
>
> That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the
> same
> error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
> Jav
>
> "3Dfelix" wrote:
>
>> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a
>> record
>> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>>
>> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
>> fact
>> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
>> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
>> Locating
>> Server/Instance Specified)
>>
>> thanks

Kevin Jones

There is an express management studio you can download

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sql/download/

3Dfelix wrote:
> Hi Jav,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I haven't got SQL Management Studio, I'm using
> SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS.
>
> thanks
>

> "Jav" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
>> Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you
>> should
>> see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make
>> sure
>> it is checked.
>>
>> That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the
>> same
>> error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
>> Jav
>>
>> "3Dfelix" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a
>>> record
>>> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>>>
>>> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the
>>> fact
>>> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
>>> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error
>>> Locating
>>> Server/Instance Specified)
>>>
>>> thanks

Juan T. Llibre

re:
> under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections

To fix that, follow the instructions in this KB :

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
===================================
"3Dfelix" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:Oj7NL%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Jav,
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I haven't got SQL Management Studio, I'm using SQL Server 2005 EXPRESS.
>
> thanks
>

> "Jav" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In the SQL Management Studio, RightClick the SQL server instance, Choose
>> Properties, and under Select a Page list, click Connections. Now you should
>> see a checkbox labelled "Allow Remote Connections to This Server". Make sure
>> it is checked.
>>
>> That will take care of the remote connection issue, but I have seen the same
>> error when the problem was elsewhere. So good luck.
>> Jav
>>
>> "3Dfelix" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
>>> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>>>
>>> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
>>> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
>>> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
>>> Server/Instance Specified)
>>>
>>> thanks

Yui-Ikari Yui-Ikari is offline
Junior Member

sry double post

Last edited by Yui-Ikari; 03-02-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Yui-Ikari Yui-Ikari is offline
Junior Member

I actually tried that and still didn't work. So tried this:
1)Go to Microsoft SQL Server 2005, point to Configuration Tools, and then click SQL Server Surface Area Configuration.
2)On the SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration page, click Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections.
3)On the Surface Area Configuration for Services and Connections page, expand Database Engine, click Remote Connections, click Local and remote connections, click the appropriate protocol to enable for your environment, and then click Apply.

It seems that this fixed my problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by =?Utf-8?B?SmF2?=

"3Dfelix" wrote:

> Hi, someone could help me with this problem when trying to insert a record
> in a SQL express database? I can view record but not edit or insert.
>
> When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact
> that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote
> connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
> Server/Instance Specified)
>
> thanks

-----------------------------------
I Still have the same problem, I ran out of idea. Here is the Error that i get:
Code:
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.OpenLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreatePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateObject(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCreateRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
   at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
   at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
   at DatasettoSQL.Class1.ConnectToSQLServ() in c:\documents and settings\andrea\my documents\visual studio 2005\projects\dataset to sql\dataset to sql\dataset to sql.cpp:line 25
   at Service.meowmeow() in c:\Documents and Settings\Andrea\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\WS2\App_Code\Service.cs:line 20

Dwight Dwight is offline
Junior Member

I did everything this page suggested and still got the same error. It turns out my connection string required the exact [server]\[instance] name for Data Source rather than 'localhost'.