Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > python-dev and setting up setting up f2py on Windows XP

python-dev and setting up setting up f2py on Windows XP

Sile

Hi,

I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
does anyone know where I can find it???

Any help at all would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Sile

akameswaran@gmail.com

I'm really not familiar with the package you are trying to use, nor
that familiar with what you get on windows. I would guess you did a
binary installation download, and you may need to get the python source
tarball instead - in order to get the files you need.

Barring that, I'm certain the headers are available through
sourceforge, they provide svn access for building python itself: more
info @:

http://www.python.org/dev/faq/

Hope this helps.

Anand

Sile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
> 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
> the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
> header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
> can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
> packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
> automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
> my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
> does anyone know where I can find it???
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Sile

John Machin

Sile wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
> 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
> the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
> header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
> can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
> packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
> automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
> my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
> does anyone know where I can find it???
>
> Any help at all would be much appreciated.

The concept of "python-dev package" is a Debian concept which doesn't
apply to Windows. The standard installation on Windows provides the
header and library files that you need for interfacing with C.

Don't put things where your C compiler can find them; do a standard
no-frills install of Python2.4 using the .msi installer and tell your C
compiler where the goodies are.

E.g. using the MinGW32 gcc, you'd need things like:

gcc -I\python24\include -lpython24 -L\python24\libs
[first is "i".upper(), second is "L".lower()]

Which C compiler are you using?

You will need to add "C:\Python24" to the path so that you can invoke
python easily; that will also enable anything else finding python24.dll
if you do a "me only" install of Python.

So give that a whirl and if you have any dramas, come back with
questions ...

HTH,
John

Sile

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your help and resolving my issue with
"python-dev". I'll hopefully get my problem sorted today, if not I'm
sure I'll be back with more questions! The C compiler I'm using is
Microsoft Visual Studio 8. I have been told there are potential
compatibility issues between this, my version of python and my fortran
compiler. I have to use python 2.3 as it is compatible with a CFD
package I'm using. I've resinstalled python properley so I'll
persevere with my exsisting C compiler this morning and try MINGW32 if
I have no joy.

Thanks again,

Sile

John Machin wrote:
> Sile wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying to get f2py working on Windows XP, I am using Python
> > 2.3. I'm new to python so I'm not too sure what I'm doing yet. I need
> > the python-dev package to run f2py. I have been told this is just the
> > header files and .dll and I need to put them somewhere my C compiler
> > can find them. I've searched the web and none of the python-dev
> > packages I've found are for windows. I was wondering is this
> > automatically part of the windows version and if so how I set it up so
> > my C compiler can find them. If it is not part of the standard package
> > does anyone know where I can find it???
> >
> > Any help at all would be much appreciated.

> The concept of "python-dev package" is a Debian concept which doesn't
> apply to Windows. The standard installation on Windows provides the
> header and library files that you need for interfacing with C.
>
> Don't put things where your C compiler can find them; do a standard
> no-frills install of Python2.4 using the .msi installer and tell your C
> compiler where the goodies are.
>
> E.g. using the MinGW32 gcc, you'd need things like:
>
> gcc -I\python24\include -lpython24 -L\python24\libs
> [first is "i".upper(), second is "L".lower()]
>
> Which C compiler are you using?
>
> You will need to add "C:\Python24" to the path so that you can invoke
> python easily; that will also enable anything else finding python24.dll
> if you do a "me only" install of Python.
>
> So give that a whirl and if you have any dramas, come back with
> questions ...
>
> HTH,
> John

Sile

Thanks Anand !

F2PY ?? Has anyone worked with the F2PY generator? Blubaugh, David A. Python 0 09-08-2008 10:04 PM
Re: [f2py] f2py problem Python 0 05-15-2007 03:23 PM
f2py on windows tutorials Flavio Python 12 09-27-2006 06:38 PM
f2py on windows XP - "Unknown Switch"?? Sile Python 6 08-28-2006 01:31 PM
f2py error - windows xp (F2PY-2.43.239_1806) M. Faust Python 6 09-28-2004 12:42 AM

Advertisments