Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > How to connect wirelessly without host computer.

How to connect wirelessly without host computer.

=?Utf-8?B?TG9vYmVlbG9v?=

I've been trying to set up a friends laptop wirelessly as it is their main
computer. Managed to create network connection and secure it, but it keeps
saying limited or no connection. They have an Acer aspire 3613 WMLi
notebook. A Netgear DG834GT wireless router. Can wireless be done without a
host computer? We have ordered a network adaptor card ( Netgear WG 511T).
Will this make a difference?

Malke

Loobeeloo wrote:

> I've been trying to set up a friends laptop wirelessly as it is their main
> computer. Managed to create network connection and secure it, but it keeps
> saying limited or no connection. They have an Acer aspire 3613 WMLi
> notebook. A Netgear DG834GT wireless router. Can wireless be done without
> a host computer? We have ordered a network adaptor card ( Netgear WG
> 511T). Will this make a difference?

When you have a router, there is no "host computer". The router is the
"host". Connect the laptop to the router with an ethernet cable to set it
up. Follow the instructions that came with the router or configure the
router directly from a browser.

Once you have configured the router and its wireless security (set the SSID
to something other than the default and set the encryption key), you can
disconnect the laptop. The laptop's wireless adapter will then pick up your
wireless network.

What often happens with people who don't change their SSID from the default
is that they are really trying to connect to someone else's network - a
neighbor who also didn't change his SSID.

Here are some links to help you:

Wireless - Basic Configuration - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Lem

Loobeeloo wrote:
> I've been trying to set up a friends laptop wirelessly as it is their main
> computer. Managed to create network connection and secure it, but it keeps
> saying limited or no connection. They have an Acer aspire 3613 WMLi
> notebook. A Netgear DG834GT wireless router. Can wireless be done without a
> host computer? We have ordered a network adaptor card ( Netgear WG 511T).
> Will this make a difference?

No, you do not need a "host computer." If I understand you correctly,
that function is accomplished by the router (which actually is a
computer, but that's another story).

If the Acer notebook has built-in wifi capability, then you do not need
the Netgear WG 511T (on the other hand, if the "T" in DG834GT stands for
Netgear's "Turbo" mode -- and I couldn't find that model on Netgear's
site -- then using a similar Netgear "Turbo" adapter is likely the only
way to achieve anything approaching the advertised "turbo" speeds).

Also note that the Netgear DG834G (without the "T") incorporates a DSL
modem in additon to the wireless router. This may or may not work with
your friend's ISP.

Because I don't know what you've done so far, I can't give you any
specific advice. There are many reasons why you might be seeing
"limited or no connection." One thing you might want to do is to open a
command prompt on the laptop and type "ipconfig/ all" (without the
quotes) and press enter. If this shows an "IP Address" beginning
169.254.x.x, you have not, in fact, connected to the router.

See generally: http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

=?Utf-8?B?TG9vYmVlbG9v?=