Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > pre-configured VPN client

pre-configured VPN client

Larry

I am trying to provide users with a VPN client disk with host and password
pre-configured. I searched Cisco's website and found instructions to create
a silent install disk to give to users. However, this kind of dificult to
follow and I am somewhat new to this. Does anyone know where I can find
step by setp instruction on how to do this. Thanks,

-Larry

Gary

Larry wrote:

> I am trying to provide users with a VPN client disk with host and password
> pre-configured. I searched Cisco's website and found instructions to create
> a silent install disk to give to users. However, this kind of dificult to
> follow and I am somewhat new to this. Does anyone know where I can find
> step by setp instruction on how to do this. Thanks,

I'll assume you're referring to the Windows installer since the Mac
customization is trivial by comparison. First, you'll want to download
Orca.msi and install it. You can get it by installing the Microsoft
Installer SDK or using this old version archived here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archi...12/180792.aspx

Once you have the VPN client's .msi extracted, load it in to Orca and
start making changes. I figured it out mostly by trial and error but found
the following links somewhat useful, esp. the first Cisco page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...8022f999.shtml
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0802d3ac2.html

Just ignore the whole bit in the 2nd Cisco link where they talk about
creating an oem.ini, etc. I used the following tools to create a
self-extracting archive and custom icon for my final setup.exe.

http://www.7-zip.org/
http://www.wilsonc.demon.co.uk/d10resourceeditor.htm
http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39048

The msistub.exe on the message board above solved a lot of problems. Also
see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905/EN-US/ and do various searches
for Orca.msi and Orca.exe via google and Microsoft's site.

-Gary