Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Port security and multicast SLP problems

Port security and multicast SLP problems

Blaine Williams

Hello,

I have just turned on port security (cam table overflow) on some
switches in one of my offices (according to Cisco's SAFE blueprint.)
This is what I did: set port to auto-learn mac addresses, set port to
learn X amount of MAC addresses (most are set to 2, one for data, one
for the IP phone.)
Turned on port security.
Here is my problem:
On some of the ports (no rhyme or reason) they are automatically
shutting themselves down..No matter how many MAC addresses I set them
to learn.
I think I have narrowed it down to a problem with the SLP multicast
(layer 2) MAC address filling up the CAM table for those ports.
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) that this MAC address:
01-00-5e-00-01-16 pertains to Novell SLP multicast. So these ports
are "filling" up with that MAC address for some reason while most are
not (and are functioning fine).

My CATOS version is: 8.3(4)
Has anyone seen anything like this?

TIA,
Blaine

Problems with 7206 vxr trying to VLAN a Gig port to an HP 4000M Gig port over fiber Great Deals Cisco 1 09-10-2007 11:32 AM
Multicast security.. P Cisco 0 03-21-2005 08:09 AM
Port 333 Texar Security Port ? fla_lvr@yahoo.com Computer Security 2 01-11-2005 07:57 PM
Port-security on 16-port FastEthernet module (NM-ESW-16) Dmitry Cisco 0 04-01-2004 06:38 PM
Port security on a Catalyst 4000 - fails to shut down port Jon Whitear Cisco 2 11-04-2003 11:01 PM

Advertisments