Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > remote desktop (complex setup)

remote desktop (complex setup)

Cheri Holloway

Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and was
able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network. But
here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my desktop
computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to one
computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to forward
to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and found out
I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the network and the
port being the configured port) to connect remotely using a different port,
so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop, enabled remote
desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall, and tested it. It
didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from INSIDE the network, but
not from outside. What can I do?

LRM

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
> port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and
> was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network.
> But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my
> desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to
> one computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to
> forward to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and
> found out I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the
> network and the port being the configured port) to connect remotely using
> a different port, so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop,
> enabled remote desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall,
> and tested it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from
> INSIDE the network, but not from outside. What can I do?

Which kb are you referencing? I don't bother with setting up a second
forwarder. When I login to the first box I can create as many rdp
connections to my internal network as I like.

--
LRM
MCNGP 7^2

Cheri Holloway

"LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
>> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network
>> using port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
>> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and
>> was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network.
>> But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my
>> desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to
>> one computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to
>> forward to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base
>> and found out I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the
>> network and the port being the configured port) to connect remotely using
>> a different port, so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my
>> desktop, enabled remote desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my
>> firewall, and tested it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the
>> desktop from INSIDE the network, but not from outside. What can I do?
>>

> Which kb are you referencing? I don't bother with setting up a second
> forwarder. When I login to the first box I can create as many rdp
> connections to my internal network as I like.
>
> --
> LRM
> MCNGP 7^2
> www.mcngp.com home of the bogosity singularity.

I saw it at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304 I have been able to
remote into my server and then remote into the desktop from the server
(basically a piggy-back remote connection, if you will) if that's what
you're talking about) but it interests me to find out if there is another
way to do it, but upon searching for that KB article, I came across another
article referencing how to change the port that remote desktop listens on
through registry editor, so I'm gonna give that a shot. I'll let you know if
it works.

LRM

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across
>>> remote desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own
>>> network using port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all
>>> incoming connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server
>>> 2003) and was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my
>>> local network. But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a
>>> connection to my desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only
>>> forward port 3389 to one computer, I was wondering how I can configure
>>> another connection to forward to the other computer. I researched
>>> microsoft's knowledge base and found out I can use the
>>> 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the network and the port being
>>> the configured port) to connect remotely using a different port, so I
>>> configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop, enabled remote
>>> desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall, and tested
>>> it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from INSIDE the
>>> network, but not from outside. What can I do?
>>>

>> Which kb are you referencing? I don't bother with setting up a second
>> forwarder. When I login to the first box I can create as many rdp
>> connections to my internal network as I like.
>>
>> --
>> LRM
>> MCNGP 7^2
>> www.mcngp.com home of the bogosity singularity.
>>

> I saw it at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304 I have been able
> to remote into my server and then remote into the desktop from the server
> (basically a piggy-back remote connection, if you will) if that's what
> you're talking about) but it interests me to find out if there is another
> way to do it, but upon searching for that KB article, I came across
> another article referencing how to change the port that remote desktop
> listens on through registry editor, so I'm gonna give that a shot. I'll
> let you know if it works.

Please do. I was too lazy. Just out of curiosity, what is your layer 3
device? A DSL modem? a Router? Could change things.

lowdes

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p_03may16.mspx

lowdes

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
> port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and
> was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network.
> But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my
> desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to
> one computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to
> forward to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and
> found out I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the
> network and the port being the configured port) to connect remotely using
> a different port, so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop,
> enabled remote desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall,
> and tested it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from
> INSIDE the network, but not from outside. What can I do?

Kurt

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
> port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and
> was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network.
> But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my
> desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to
> one computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to
> forward to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and
> found out I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the
> network and the port being the configured port) to connect remotely using
> a different port, so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop,
> enabled remote desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall,
> and tested it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from
> INSIDE the network, but not from outside. What can I do?

Run Regedit, go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Terminal
Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp. Change the "PortNumber" subkey from 3389
(00000D3D hex) To whatever you want your RDP to listen on. Sometimes you
have to reboot, sometimes not.

....kurt

Jonathan Roberts

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
> port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and

was
> able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network. But
> here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my

desktop
> computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to one
> computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to

forward
> to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and found

out
> I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the network and the
> port being the configured port) to connect remotely using a different

port,
> so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop, enabled remote
> desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall, and tested it.

It
> didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from INSIDE the network,

but
> not from outside. What can I do?

You missed one step. You need to configure RDP on the XP box to use the
revised port#.

FrisbeeŽ

"Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, here's my scenerio. I am studying for my MCDST and came across remote
> desktop configuration and decided to play around with my own network using
> port forwarding on my router. I sucessfully forwarded all incoming
> connections to port 3389 to my server (running Exchange Server 2003) and
> was able to connect sucessfully from inside and outside my local network.
> But here is what I want to do. I want to ALSO set up a connection to my
> desktop computer running XP Pro. Because I can only forward port 3389 to
> one computer, I was wondering how I can configure another connection to
> forward to the other computer. I researched microsoft's knowledge base and
> found out I can use the 255.255.255.255:1234 (IP being the IP of the
> network and the port being the configured port) to connect remotely using
> a different port, so I configured my router to forward 3390 to my desktop,
> enabled remote desktop on the my desktop, opened the port on my firewall,
> and tested it. It didn't work. I am able to remote to the desktop from
> INSIDE the network, but not from outside. What can I do?

R U Hawt?

Cheri Holloway

"LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>

>> "LRM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "Cheri Holloway" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>
>>> Which kb are you referencing? I don't bother with setting up a second
>>> forwarder. When I login to the first box I can create as many rdp
>>> connections to my internal network as I like.
>>>
>>> --
>>> LRM
>>> MCNGP 7^2
>>> www.mcngp.com home of the bogosity singularity.
>>>

>> I saw it at: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304 I have been able
>> to remote into my server and then remote into the desktop from the server
>> (basically a piggy-back remote connection, if you will) if that's what
>> you're talking about) but it interests me to find out if there is another
>> way to do it, but upon searching for that KB article, I came across
>> another article referencing how to change the port that remote desktop
>> listens on through registry editor, so I'm gonna give that a shot. I'll
>> let you know if it works.
>>

> Please do. I was too lazy. Just out of curiosity, what is your layer 3
> device? A DSL modem? a Router? Could change things.

I changed the port in regedit. No success. I'm going to revert all changes
to the router, server, and desktop, and then just set up one connection just
to the desktop and see if that works. I know I can connect from the inside
of the network, but maybe there is something else going on that I'm not
seeing as far as being able to connect from the outside, customized
connection or not. Anyhow, I've got a cable modem hooked into a router. Will
update later.

=?Utf-8?B?RHJhZ29uIFdpdGhvdXQgV2luZ3M=?=

"Jonathan Roberts" wrote:

> You missed one step. You need to configure RDP on the XP box to use the
> revised port#.

True. By default, RDP on the XP box only listen to port 3389. What you can
do is to modify the RDP file. You can create an RDP connection file using a
text editor. The simplest way to do it initially, though, is to run the
mstsc client, configure basic settings you want, then choose "Save As..." on
the General tab. You can then open the resulting file in Notepad and work
with it. From there, you can change the server port to suite your need.
Neat huh ?