Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unique Network Setup

Unique Network Setup

=?Utf-8?B?YWxsZW44MTA2?=

I have what I think is a pretty unique setup that I need help with. I get my
internet signal via a wireless tower 6 miles away. It comes through a grid
antenna, through a coax to a Cisco 350 series wireless lan adapter card. I
recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G router. I am trying to get my laptop and
PDA to hit the internet via wireless and trying to get another computer to
hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The only
thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main computer
with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?

Lem

allen8106 wrote:
> I have what I think is a pretty unique setup that I need help with. I get my
> internet signal via a wireless tower 6 miles away. It comes through a grid
> antenna, through a coax to a Cisco 350 series wireless lan adapter card. I
> recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G router. I am trying to get my laptop and
> PDA to hit the internet via wireless and trying to get another computer to
> hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The only
> thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main computer
> with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?

I think you can do what you want with WinXP's "Internet Connection
Sharing." You will need a standard Ethernet NIC in the computer with
the Cisco card.

Do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the WRT54G, but connect one of the
other ports to the NIC in the "gateway" computer (the one with the Cisco
card).

In the router's configuration utility, be sure to disable the router's
DHCP server (ICS in the "gateway" computer will provide a DHCP server
and NAT functionality).

When you use ICS, the NIC in that computer gets a static IP address of
192.168.0.1. The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1,
which is on the wrong subnet, so you need to change it. I don't know
the range of IPs assigned by ICS; you could try setting the router to
192.168.0.2 and see if you get a conflict. If you do, try
192.168.0.150.

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us
and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us
and many more:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/...n+sharing&adv=

=?Utf-8?B?eXVya28=?=

my case is something similar but i can not have another 192.168.0.1 on my
network. is there any way to change it to something else?

y.

"Lem" wrote:

> allen8106 wrote:
> > I have what I think is a pretty unique setup that I need help with. I get my
> > internet signal via a wireless tower 6 miles away. It comes through a grid
> > antenna, through a coax to a Cisco 350 series wireless lan adapter card. I
> > recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G router. I am trying to get my laptop and
> > PDA to hit the internet via wireless and trying to get another computer to
> > hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The only
> > thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main computer
> > with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?

> I think you can do what you want with WinXP's "Internet Connection
> Sharing." You will need a standard Ethernet NIC in the computer with
> the Cisco card.
>
> Do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the WRT54G, but connect one of the
> other ports to the NIC in the "gateway" computer (the one with the Cisco
> card).
>
> In the router's configuration utility, be sure to disable the router's
> DHCP server (ICS in the "gateway" computer will provide a DHCP server
> and NAT functionality).
>
> When you use ICS, the NIC in that computer gets a static IP address of
> 192.168.0.1. The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1,
> which is on the wrong subnet, so you need to change it. I don't know
> the range of IPs assigned by ICS; you could try setting the router to
> 192.168.0.2 and see if you get a conflict. If you do, try
> 192.168.0.150.
>
> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us
> and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us
> and many more:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...n+sharing&adv=

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
You can change the core IP of the Router to any IP within the subnet
192.168.xxx.yyy, as long as the xxx group is the same as the rest of the
Network and there is No other number that is exactly the same in the YYY
group.
How to do you change the IP in your particular Router? I Do know, I use
something else, read the manual.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"yurko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> my case is something similar but i can not have another 192.168.0.1 on my
> network. is there any way to change it to something else?
>
> y.
>

> "Lem" wrote:
>
>> allen8106 wrote:
>> > I have what I think is a pretty unique setup that I need help with. I
>> > get my
>> > internet signal via a wireless tower 6 miles away. It comes through a
>> > grid
>> > antenna, through a coax to a Cisco 350 series wireless lan adapter
>> > card. I
>> > recently hooked up a Linksys WRT54G router. I am trying to get my
>> > laptop and
>> > PDA to hit the internet via wireless and trying to get another computer
>> > hit the net via typical ethernet cable, all through the router. The
>> > only
>> > thing I have managed to do is to get to the internet via the main
>> > computer
>> > with the Cisco card in it. Any suggestions?

>> I think you can do what you want with WinXP's "Internet Connection
>> Sharing." You will need a standard Ethernet NIC in the computer with
>> the Cisco card.
>>
>> Do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the WRT54G, but connect one of the
>> other ports to the NIC in the "gateway" computer (the one with the Cisco
>> card).
>>
>> In the router's configuration utility, be sure to disable the router's
>> DHCP server (ICS in the "gateway" computer will provide a DHCP server
>> and NAT functionality).
>>
>> When you use ICS, the NIC in that computer gets a static IP address of
>> 192.168.0.1. The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1,
>> which is on the wrong subnet, so you need to change it. I don't know
>> the range of IPs assigned by ICS; you could try setting the router to
>> 192.168.0.2 and see if you get a conflict. If you do, try
>> 192.168.0.150.
>>
>> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us
>> and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us
>> and many more:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/...n+sharing&adv=

=?Utf-8?B?eXVya28=?=

hi Jack, thanks for reply. Unfortunately i have to use something esle other
then 192.168.0.1 for ICS host. I absolutely have to.

what are my options?

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." wrote:

> Hi
> You can change the core IP of the Router to any IP within the subnet
> 192.168.xxx.yyy, as long as the xxx group is the same as the rest of the
> Network and there is No other number that is exactly the same in the YYY
> group.
> How to do you change the IP in your particular Router? I Do know, I use
> something else, read the manual.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
> "yurko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > my case is something similar but i can not have another 192.168.0.1 on my
> > network. is there any way to change it to something else?
> >
> > y.

> >> I think you can do what you want with WinXP's "Internet Connection
> >> Sharing." You will need a standard Ethernet NIC in the computer with
> >> the Cisco card.
> >>
> >> Do not use the WAN (Internet) port on the WRT54G, but connect one of the
> >> other ports to the NIC in the "gateway" computer (the one with the Cisco
> >> card).
> >>
> >> In the router's configuration utility, be sure to disable the router's
> >> DHCP server (ICS in the "gateway" computer will provide a DHCP server
> >> and NAT functionality).
> >>
> >> When you use ICS, the NIC in that computer gets a static IP address of
> >> 192.168.0.1. The default IP address of Linksys routers is 192.168.1.1,
> >> which is on the wrong subnet, so you need to change it. I don't know
> >> the range of IPs assigned by ICS; you could try setting the router to
> >> 192.168.0.2 and see if you get a conflict. If you do, try
> >> 192.168.0.150.
> >>
> >> See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314066/en-us
> >> and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310563/en-us
> >> and many more: