Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Disabled Idle Timeouts, still timing out after 20 minutes

Reply
Thread Tools

Disabled Idle Timeouts, still timing out after 20 minutes

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlZmFuIEJhcmxvdw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
On IIS 6, I've disabled idle timeouts and any app pool recycling other than
the 29 hour timed recycle.

I've disabled both on the app pool itself and on all app pools at the server
level. I've restarted IIS as well.

After 20 minutes of inactivity, sites are still being shut down. Going by
the logs, there is a time stamp if the idle time is greater than 18 or so
minutes.

Is there any where else that could possibly override this setting?

--
Stefan Barlow
MCSD.Net
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
see machine.config

-- bruce (sqlwok.com)

"Stefan Barlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On IIS 6, I've disabled idle timeouts and any app pool recycling other
> than
> the 29 hour timed recycle.
>
> I've disabled both on the app pool itself and on all app pools at the
> server
> level. I've restarted IIS as well.
>
> After 20 minutes of inactivity, sites are still being shut down. Going by
> the logs, there is a time stamp if the idle time is greater than 18 or so
> minutes.
>
> Is there any where else that could possibly override this setting?
>
> --
> Stefan Barlow
> MCSD.Net



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlZmFuIEJhcmxvdw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
Bruce,

Thanks for the response.

I see idleTimeout in processModel is set to Infinite. However, I'm not
running in isolation mode, so I think that the processModel area isn't used
in this case?

Is there somewhere else in the machine.config I should be looking?

Thank you, this has been driving me crazy all day.

--
Stefan Barlow
MCSD.Net


"bruce barker (sqlwork.com)" wrote:

> see machine.config
>
> -- bruce (sqlwok.com)
>
> "Stefan Barlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On IIS 6, I've disabled idle timeouts and any app pool recycling other
> > than
> > the 29 hour timed recycle.
> >
> > I've disabled both on the app pool itself and on all app pools at the
> > server
> > level. I've restarted IIS as well.
> >
> > After 20 minutes of inactivity, sites are still being shut down. Going by
> > the logs, there is a time stamp if the idle time is greater than 18 or so
> > minutes.
> >
> > Is there any where else that could possibly override this setting?
> >
> > --
> > Stefan Barlow
> > MCSD.Net

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlZmFuIEJhcmxvdw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
To clarify, I have a site that takes about 8-10 seconds to start up, so I
don't ever want the site to idle shutdown.

Even after disabling the idle shutdown, I can view a page, then wait 20
minutes and view another page, and the IIS log inserts the startup header and
the page takes 8-10 seconds to load. Refreshing takes < .2 seconds. There
isn't anything in the event logs to signify an app shutdown or startup at any
time.

--
Stefan Barlow
MCSD.Net

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Cheng[MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
Hello Stefan,

From your description, your ASP.NET application has a long startup
time(some intialization work) and you want to make the application avoid
automatically shutdown/stop(avoid the intialiation overhead).

As you mentioned that you've configured all the timeout setting for the IIS
application pool, do you mean you've unchecked the following options for
the IIS application pool?

* Recycle worker process (in minutes):
* Shutdown worker processes after being idle for (time in minutes)

If so, the automatic shutdown or recycle of the worker process should have
been disabled.

Based on my experience, if you find that the ASP.NET application page
respond slowly again(like at initializing, startup time), it is possibly
caused by either of the following issue:

1. the ASP.NET worker process recycled or shutdown.

2. the ASP.NET application(appdomain) restart itself without recycle or
shutdown the workerprocess.

And for IIS worke process shutdown, there should contains log entry in the
application eventlog which record the shutdown or recycle behavior. Have
you found any entry in the application eventlog indicate the the ASP.NET
application's worker process recycled? As for application restart, I
suggest you consider put some code in your ASP.NET application's
"Applcation_Start" or "Application_End" event (in global.asax) and write
some info into EventLog to trace the application restart behavior. Here is
a good article from ScottGu's blog describing how to write custom event
entry to record ASP.NET application shutdown.


#Logging ASP.NET Application Shutdown Events
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...14/433194.aspx

Here is a web kbalerts listed some existing problem of ASP.NET application
restart:

#Why is my ASP.NET application restarting?
http://www.kbalertz.com/Feedback_871042.aspx

Hope this helps. Please feel free to let me know if there is any other
information you wonder.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.













 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlZmFuIEJhcmxvdw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
Steven,

Thank you for the response. I have disabled recycling based on time and
idle. I also turned on logging for all recycle events and restarted IIS.

I attached a debugger and I can see that my Application_OnStart event is NOT
being called again on the mysterious recycle. I do see the pages being
recompiled in the debug though.

There are also no events being logged to the event log.

The only detail is an increase in load time for the first request after the
20 minute wait (debug output showed compilation happening) and the Header
stamp in the IIS log file.


--
Stefan Barlow
MCSD.Net

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Cheng[MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
Hello Stefan,

Thanks for your reply.

I've discussed with some other engineers, as for the following things:

==============
(debug output showed compilation happening) and the Header stamp in the IIS
log file.
==============

Would you provide some detailed content of teh output and "header stamp" to
us?

If the application pages are really recompiled without application
restarting, I think it is likely cause by some of the following things:

1. Any of the page source file or aspx content file has been modified(or
any of its dependencies/assemblies in bin dir has been modified)

2. Is there any anti-virus software on the machine which will monitoring
the ASP.NET temporarly dir? Also, is your server updated all the lastest
service patches? I've ever met some page recompilation issue is caused by
some external program modified the ASP.NET appliation's dynamic compiled
assembly or source file under Temporary ASP.NET folder.

In addition, as for the web appilcation, have you set the <compilation
debug="xx" /> attribute to "false" so that the pages will be batch compiled
under release mode. If you haven't set it to release mode, you can set the
attribute to false to see whether it helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?U3RlZmFuIEJhcmxvdw==?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
Steven,

We had debug=true on until a few days ago. I did an IISRESET after turning
it off. The last few times we tried we are no longer seeing the asseblies
being loaded in debug after the 20 minutes.

I just viewed the page again and it took 5.6 seconds to build the page.
This count is the entire time from BeingRequest to EndRequest, and can be
pre-empted by Application_Start.

Viewing trace.axd afterwards showed pages going back until 12:30am
yesterday, and from what I understand, this list is cleared when an
application recycles?

The header I refered to is the following entry in the middle of the IIS log
file:
#Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0
#Version: 1.0
#Date: 2006-08-17 14:36:27
#Fields: date time s-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem cs-uri-query s-port
cs-username c-ip cs(User-Agent) cs(Referer) sc-status sc-substatus
sc-win32-status sc-bytes cs-bytes

Thank you!
--
Stefan Barlow
MCSD.Net


"Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hello Stefan,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I've discussed with some other engineers, as for the following things:
>
> ==============
> (debug output showed compilation happening) and the Header stamp in the IIS
> log file.
> ==============
>
> Would you provide some detailed content of teh output and "header stamp" to
> us?
>
> If the application pages are really recompiled without application
> restarting, I think it is likely cause by some of the following things:
>
> 1. Any of the page source file or aspx content file has been modified(or
> any of its dependencies/assemblies in bin dir has been modified)
>
> 2. Is there any anti-virus software on the machine which will monitoring
> the ASP.NET temporarly dir? Also, is your server updated all the lastest
> service patches? I've ever met some page recompilation issue is caused by
> some external program modified the ASP.NET appliation's dynamic compiled
> assembly or source file under Temporary ASP.NET folder.
>
> In addition, as for the web appilcation, have you set the <compilation
> debug="xx" /> attribute to "false" so that the pages will be batch compiled
> under release mode. If you haven't set it to release mode, you can set the
> attribute to false to see whether it helps.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead
>
>
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Steven Cheng[MSFT]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-22-2006
Thanks for your reply Stefan,

Sorry for the late response due to a sudden sickness last weekend .

So you've found the page's recompilation behaves different after you turn
off the <compilation debug="xxx"/> and reset IIS? As for the <compilation
debug="xx" /> setting, we always recommend that we turn it off(set it as
release) mode when we deploy application in production environment(or
simulate the production environment testing).

When under release mode, the ASP.NET runtime will perform batch compilation
against the pages in web appilcation. This means the runtime compiler will
batch compile pages/usercontrols as much as possible (not only the one was
requested by client, this the behavior under debug mode). And there are
some other behaviors different from debug and release mode in ASP.NET
application. For example, the httpRunTime's maxRequestTimeout setting will
only work when the application is under release mode....

As for the "trace.axd", you're right that the trace record is stored in a
buffer which will be cleared automatically when the application instance
restart(we can also manually clear it). It is the
"System.Web.Handlers.TraceHandler" class which handles the request against
"Trace.axd" in each ASP.NET web application.

If there is any other information you wonder, please feel free to let me
know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead


This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
netvmini.sys still not working on Windows 7 even after driver signing disabled ?! (Windows debug mode necessary for debug drivers ???) Skybuck Flying Windows 64bit 3 08-09-2009 05:54 AM
Session timing out after 20 minutes Serge ASP .Net Security 0 04-13-2006 06:43 PM
timing out the asp.net web application when not in use for 15 minutes enahar ASP .Net 8 03-08-2005 12:17 AM
internet connection won't disconnect after x minutes if idle Susie Computer Information 1 02-02-2004 06:01 PM
Session/Login still times out at 20 minutes even after changing defaults Andy Green ASP .Net 3 01-10-2004 03:25 PM



Advertisments