Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Communications/Networking drawing software

Communications/Networking drawing software

Fred Atkinson

Can anyone on here recommend a budget, shareware, or freeware
package that would allow you to draw a communications system (sort of
like a blueprint)? I can't afford an arm or a leg, but I can spend a
small amount of money on it.

I don't want to be limited to Cisco routers and switches. I
want to include PCs, telephones, PBX's, multiplexers, network
diagrams, satellite dishes, all kinds of modems (satellite, telephone,
cablemodem, DSL, etc.) and anything else that might be necessary for
an engineer to draw.

I am aware of that Cisco package that is used for graphically
designing a Cisco network. But, that's too limited for my needs.

Any suggestions?

Fred

Jens Link

Fred Atkinson <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Can anyone on here recommend a budget, shareware, or freeware
> package that would allow you to draw a communications system (sort of
> like a blueprint)? I can't afford an arm or a leg, but I can spend a
> small amount of money on it.

At work I use MS-Visio[1], but I guess it is to expensive, you might
take a look at dia (http://dia-installer.sourceforge.net/).

Jens

Footnotes:
[1] I can't believe it. I'm really recommending MS software.

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Can anyone on here recommend a budget, shareware, or freeware
> package that would allow you to draw a communications system (sort of
> like a blueprint)? I can't afford an arm or a leg, but I can spend a
> small amount of money on it.

[snip]

download from www.smartdraw.com to see if that will work for you.
(other's already mentioned other alternatives like dia and/or netviz -
though netviz might be expensive)

--

hsb

Fred Atkinson

I downloaded DIA and tried to run it. I keep getting this
error message (a DOS box pops up and this is displayed in it): I/O
warning : failed to load external entity "NULL".

Any suggestions?

Fred

Fred Atkinson

I downloaded Smartdraw. I nearly choked when I saw what the
price for it would be.

It does seem to be a good package, though.

Fred

Hansang Bae

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> I downloaded Smartdraw. I nearly choked when I saw what the
> price for it would be.
>
> It does seem to be a good package, though.

When I looked at it, it was like $50 or $100 bucks. I take the price is
much higher now?

--

hsb

Fred Atkinson

The Technical Edition is now $198. Smartdraw Suite is $297.

Fred

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Hansang Bae <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I downloaded Smartdraw. I nearly choked when I saw what the
>> price for it would be.
>>
>> It does seem to be a good package, though.

>When I looked at it, it was like $50 or $100 bucks. I take the price is
>much higher now?
>
>--
>
>hsb

Take a look at dia, an open source visio sort-of-work-alike.

http://www.gnome.org/projects/dia/

It's trivial to install, and works fine on my windoes and linux
machines.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
----