Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > about tomcat host-manager

about tomcat host-manager

david wolf

What does tomcat host-manager application do?

I am just curious. Becuase I saw manager application and admin
application, not sure what host-manager does.

It is located at :
/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps/host-manager

Can anyone give me an explanation?

Allen

web application for host configurations accessed by
http://localhost:8080/

Roland de Ruiter

On 15-8-2006 2:45, david wolf wrote:
> What does tomcat host-manager application do?
>
> I am just curious. Becuase I saw manager application and admin
> application, not sure what host-manager does.
>
> It is located at :
> /jakarta-tomcat-5.5.9/server/webapps/host-manager
>
> Can anyone give me an explanation?

For managing virtual hosts. Accessed by the following URL (maybe you'll
have to change port 8080 to match your installation):
<http://localhost:8080/host-manager/html>
Login with your admin username and password.

Couldn't find much info about it, but from what I understand it has
something to do with the <Host> tags in the server.xml configuration
file (/jakarta-tomcat-5.5.x/conf/server.xml). See
<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/host.html>
--
Regards,

Roland

Tom Cole

I think that's the gist of it. The manager helps with Contexts while
the host manager helps with Hosts.

Hosts let you map names to Contexts. Let's say you had two domain names
mapped to the same IP address, it is through Hosts that you could tell
Tomcat how to use Context A for domain name A and Context B for domain
name B.

HTH.