Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Network Setup Wizard Help

Network Setup Wizard Help

=?Utf-8?B?Sk1O?=

I just recently hooked up a Linksys Wireless router with 4 port-switch (model
# WRT54G). I connected 2 desktop computers via ethernet cable (cat-5) and 1
notebook computer via D-Link Airplus USB Network Adapter to the router. All 3
computers have their internets working perfectly.

Now, I want to enable file and printer sharing for all 3 computers. 1 of the
desktop computer runs windows xp professional while the other 2 computers run
windows cp home edition. THe 2 desktop computers can share their files and
printers without a problem but the notebook do not. Both the desktop computer
do not have a wireless network adapter.

Everytime I set up the Network Set-up Wizard to the laptop (with the USB
network adapter), I always encounter the page where it ask me to choose a
LAN-Network Adapter to use. But there is only 1 choice and that is the
LAN-Network for the built-in ethernet connection. Of course, when I choose it
there is a message saying that the hardware is not set-up properly. When I
plug an ethernet cable to the laptop, the problem is gone and I can connect
to the other 2 computers with no problem (i.e. all 3 computers have file and
printer sharing working).

But that is not I want. I want to connect my laptop wirelessly instead. Is
there a way I can do a file and printer sharing with my connection (2 desktop
hooked to a router by cat-5 and the laptop by a usb network adpater)? Is
there a way I could maybe add the USB network adapter to the choices in the
network set-up wizard.

Also, I did the wireless network wizard to all the 3 computers even the 2
desktop computers that don't have a wireless netwrok card. All 3 computers
have the same workgroup and have their own unique names. When I ping the
other 2 desktop in the laptop, the laptop can't see the other 2. Likewise
when I ping the laptop in 2 desktops, the desktops don't see the laptop.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html