Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Easy to use distributed system?

Easy to use distributed system?

Jim Jones

I am looking for a system in Python that will easily allow me to distribute
processes across multiple systems? So, if I have a function 'foo', I'd
like to be able to call something along the lines of

distribute(foo(x))

And have the system figure out which node is available for process, and then
have the results returned in some sort of callback fashion.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

--
Jim
http://www.runfatboy.net - Exercise for the rest of us.

Ravi Teja

Jim Jones wrote:
> I am looking for a system in Python that will easily allow me to distribute
> processes across multiple systems? So, if I have a function 'foo', I'd
> like to be able to call something along the lines of
>
> distribute(foo(x))
>
> And have the system figure out which node is available for process, and then
> have the results returned in some sort of callback fashion.
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like Grid computing. Google for Globus toolkit and ActiveGrid.

Good luck.

Maurice LING

Jim Jones wrote:
> I am looking for a system in Python that will easily allow me to distribute
> processes across multiple systems? So, if I have a function 'foo', I'd
> like to be able to call something along the lines of
>
> distribute(foo(x))
>
> And have the system figure out which node is available for process, and then
> have the results returned in some sort of callback fashion.
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Globus toolkit
pyGlobus, python interface to Globus
(http://dsd.lbl.gov/gtg/projects/pyGlobus/)
pyLinda (http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/aw/pylinda/)

Cheers
maurice

AlbaClause

Jim Jones wrote:

> I am looking for a system in Python that will easily allow me to
> distribute
> processes across multiple systems? So, if I have a function 'foo', I'd
> like to be able to call something along the lines of
>
> distribute(foo(x))
>
> And have the system figure out which node is available for process, and
> then have the results returned in some sort of callback fashion.
>
> Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I did a little research on this subject not too long ago. From what I've
seen, OpenMosix appears to be about the easiest one for Linux Operating
Systems. Here's the url: http://openmosix.sourceforge.net/

There are several things that I will never be:
* I will never be attracted to females.
* I will never enjoy the company of others.
Exactly how these realities bode for my enemy, is not of my concern.

John Henry

I've been using Pyro and it does what I needs it to do for me.

I don't know if it's as fancy as other packages but the price is right.