Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Where to buy

Where to buy

Ivor Jones

"Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote in message
news:ym2Eg.3393$(E-Mail Removed) k
> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE
> > UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
> > newsWSDg.3186$(E-Mail Removed) k
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Are the Grandstreams not good then?

> > They're ok for beginners but the Sipura range are
> > better for experienced users.

> Well I suppose i will be experianced soon!
> What sipura will do 2 seperate accounts with 2 lines with
> a pots connection also (not just a power fail, but being
> able to select land line)

Not sure if any of the Sipuras will actually do this, the 2000 for example
has 2 ports but no PSTN port. For more than one VoIP port plus a PSTN port
I'd go for one of the AVM Fritz!Box range - www.avm.de/en - these will
support up to 10 SIP accounts, all provider-independent, and can be set up
with dialling rules to selct a certain line for a certain range of
numbers, for example all 07xxx range mobile numbers can go via the
provider that you think is cheapest for them, or you can select a line
manually.

Ivor

Tim Morley

"paul123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> Tim Morley wrote:
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> > wrote in message
>> > newsWSDg.3186$(E-Mail Removed) k
>> >
>> > [snip]

>> > They're ok for beginners but the Sipura range are better for
>> > experienced
>> > users.
>> >
>> > Ivor
>> >

>> Well I suppose i will be experianced soon!
>> What sipura will do 2 seperate accounts with 2 lines with a pots
>> connection
>> also (not just a power fail, but being able to select land line)

> The SPA3000 is a cracking ATA, yes, but as Jono points out, its
> limitation is that you only have one voip line in and you can only
> attach one phone to it.
>
> The PAP2 doesn't have PSTN connectivity which I believe you would like.
>
> I might be the lone voice on this but the Grandstream 386 might be
> worth considering. It has PSTN connectivity and 2 phones with separate
> accounts can be plugged into it. Its main limitation is that it doesn't
> allow you program dialplans.

But you can on the sipuras?
Anyone combined a orchid v4 dialer (using now) with an ATA?

Tim Morley

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote in message
> news:ym2Eg.3393$(E-Mail Removed) k
>> "Ivor Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > "Tim Morley" <tim.morley*REMOVE
>> > UNDIES*@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > newsWSDg.3186$(E-Mail Removed) k
>> >
>> > [snip]

>> > They're ok for beginners but the Sipura range are
>> > better for experienced users.

>> Well I suppose i will be experianced soon!
>> What sipura will do 2 seperate accounts with 2 lines with
>> a pots connection also (not just a power fail, but being
>> able to select land line)

> Not sure if any of the Sipuras will actually do this, the 2000 for example
> has 2 ports but no PSTN port. For more than one VoIP port plus a PSTN port
> I'd go for one of the AVM Fritz!Box range - www.avm.de/en - these will
> support up to 10 SIP accounts, all provider-independent, and can be set up
> with dialling rules to selct a certain line for a certain range of
> numbers, for example all 07xxx range mobile numbers can go via the
> provider that you think is cheapest for them, or you can select a line
> manually.
>
> Ivor

I really want a pstn port during "the transition period" while everyone gets
used to it and as an easy backup.
BTW on voip do you have to dial full international codes, or can you program
them for your local area. ie if just dial 6 digits then it adds everything
required???

Cheers for advice so far

Jono

After serious thinking Tim Morley wrote :
> BTW on voip do you have to dial full international codes, or can you program
> them for your local area. ie if just dial 6 digits then it adds everything
> required???

that's exactly what the dialplan is for

paul123

Jono wrote:
> After serious thinking Tim Morley wrote :
> > BTW on voip do you have to dial full international codes, or can you program
> > them for your local area. ie if just dial 6 digits then it adds everything
> > required???

> that's exactly what the dialplan is for

I'd just like to expand a little on what's been said, and I hope I'm
not adding confusion to the situation.

On most ATAs with pstn connectivity (if not all) you'll be able to dial
out via pstn by adding a prefix to the number. You think "I want this
call to gout out via pstn" and so dial the prefix and then the number.
The ATA then sends that call out via pstn.

Alternatively, your dialplan can be "pre-programmed" (by you) to send
certain numbers or ranges of numbers out via whichever route you
determine - either pstn or voipprovider 1 or voipprovider 2 etc. In an
imaginary scenario, you could route 1) local calls with 6 digits
straight out through pstn, 2) long distance calls with 11 digits via
voipprovider 1 and 3) international calls with 13 digits to your mate
in Spain via voipprovider 2. This is a very simplified example of what
a dialplan can do. As Ivor says, you could send out mobile calls
through a different provider to long distance (both 11 digits).

Jono

paul123 explained on 15/08/2006 :
> Jono wrote:
>> After serious thinking Tim Morley wrote :
>>> BTW on voip do you have to dial full international codes, or can you
>>> program
>>> them for your local area. ie if just dial 6 digits then it adds everything
>>> required???

>> that's exactly what the dialplan is for

> I'd just like to expand a little on what's been said, and I hope I'm
> not adding confusion to the situation.

Hehe. I had hoped to expand but my keyboard was doing very strange
things! Whenever I pressed the L, I was logged off, N opened new
windows. Strange. Had to "type" with cut & paste.

paul123

Jono wrote:
> paul123 explained on 15/08/2006 :
> > Jono wrote:
> >>
> >> that's exactly what the dialplan is for

> > I'd just like to expand a little on what's been said, and I hope I'm
> > not adding confusion to the situation.

> Hehe. I had hoped to expand but my keyboard was doing very strange
> things! Whenever I pressed the L, I was logged off, N opened new
> windows. Strange. Had to "type" with cut & paste.

Damned ghosts in the machine!