Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > No file sharing on wireless network

No file sharing on wireless network

Mike

I recently set up a home wireless network through a router as follows :
a.. my desktop connects to the router through an Ethernet cable
b.. two laptops are connected through the wireless connection
The Internet is accessible to all three computers. As concerns file sharing though, the following happens :
a.. each one of the computers sees the others in the same workgroup
b.. the desktop can access and open shared files on the two laptops
c.. when I try to access my desktop from the two laptops, however, a message appears saying " \\computer\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource...............!
All accounts are administrator accounts.
What is wrong ? Thanks in advance.

Mike

Malke

Mike wrote:

> I recently set up a home wireless network through a router as follows :
> a.. my desktop connects to the router through an Ethernet cable
> b.. two laptops are connected through the wireless connection
> The Internet is accessible to all three computers. As concerns file
> sharing though, the following happens :
> a.. each one of the computers sees the others in the same workgroup
> b.. the desktop can access and open shared files on the two laptops
> c.. when I try to access my desktop from the two laptops, however, a
> message appears saying " \\computer\ is not accessible. You might not
> have permission to use this network resource...............!
> All accounts are administrator accounts.

This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet.

If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
File Sharing enabled.

Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
situation.

home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
Documents folder.

If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Lee Reiswig, Jr.

Malke wrote:
> Mike wrote:
>
>> I recently set up a home wireless network through a router as follows :
>> a.. my desktop connects to the router through an Ethernet cable
>> b.. two laptops are connected through the wireless connection
>> The Internet is accessible to all three computers. As concerns file
>> sharing though, the following happens :
>> a.. each one of the computers sees the others in the same workgroup
>> b.. the desktop can access and open shared files on the two laptops
>> c.. when I try to access my desktop from the two laptops, however, a
>> message appears saying " \\computer\ is not accessible. You might not
>> have permission to use this network resource...............!
>> All accounts are administrator accounts.

> This is most commonly caused by a misconfigured firewall. Run the Network
> Setup Wizard on both computers, making sure to enable File & Printer
> Sharing, and reboot. The only "gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2
> Windows Firewall. If you aren't running a third-party firewall or have an
> antivirus with "Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2005/06) which acts
> as a firewall, then you're fine. If you have third-party firewall software,
> configure it to allow the Local Area Network traffic as trusted. I usually
> do this with my firewalls with an IP range. Ex. would be
> 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254. Obviously you would substitute your correct
> subnet.
>
> If one or more of the computers is XP Pro:
>
> a. If you need Pro's ability to set fine-grained permissions, turn off
> Simple File Sharing (Folder Options>View tab) and create identical user
> accounts/passwords on all computers.
>
> b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the Simple
> File Sharing enabled.
>
> Simple File Sharing means that Guest (network) is enabled. This means that
> anyone without a user account on the target system can use its resources.
> This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters in your
> situation.
>
> Then create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
> home directories (My Documents) or Program Files, but you can share folders
> inside those directories. A better choice is to simply use the Shared
> Documents folder.
>
> If that doesn't work for you, here is an excellent network troubleshooter by
> MVP Hans-Georg Michna. Take the time to go through it and it will usually
> pinpoint the problem area(s) - http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm
>
> Malke

Malke,

I have this problem also. I've tried all your suggestions and I still
can't reliably access shares. Occasionally, it works but then it will
stop working. I have all the computers set to not suspend but I do turn
off the hard disks after 15mins of inactivity. Things stop working after
long periods of inactivity.

Lee

Malke

Lee Reiswig, Jr. wrote:

> Malke,
>
> I have this problem also. I've tried all your suggestions and I still
> can't reliably access shares. Occasionally, it works but then it will
> stop working. I have all the computers set to not suspend but I do turn
> off the hard disks after 15mins of inactivity. Things stop working after
> long periods of inactivity.

If the network works and then stops, then you don't have the same problem
because your shares are working correctly. On all computers, go to Control
Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager. Expand the Network Devices
category and find your network adapter. Double-click it to get its
properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck "allow Windows to
turn off this device when not in use".

If that doesn't fix your issue, then post back - making a new post, not
tacking yours onto someone else's - and include all pertinent details. Here
is a link that shows what details are generally required in a post in order
to get focused help:

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Malke