Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Custom DropdownList Control

Custom DropdownList Control

Proteus

Hi,

I am trying to extend the ASP.NET 2.0 DropDown List control. I have
created a new custom control and inherited from the ASP.NET control.
This works fine and I can drag it on to my web page from the toolbox.

I have added a public method to the class that goes to the database,
fetches data and then binds to the dataset. I cann this code from the
onload event of my web page.

This all seems to work fine when I debug. The debugger jumps into the
custom class and i can see the data being returned and the control
becomes loaded with items. So the databind seems to work fine. The only
problem is that it never actualy displays the data on the page. The
drop down is empty.

I'm clearly doing soemthing wrong or missing a key step. It looks like
the control gets the data and then does not render properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Proteus.