Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Semantics

Semantics

Luigi Donatello Asero

On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
there is a part where I mention "Gullmarnfjörden" as the only real fjord in
Sweden.
As "Gullmarnfjörden" is in the region Västra Götaland, I thought I could
use <h6>
for the following heading
"Gullmarn, l´unico vero fiordo in Svezia",
given that I had used <h3> for the administrative decentralization
and <h4> for the "län" which in fact belong to the local administration and
<h5> for each of these "län" or regions
(Västra Götaland, Halland being two of these).
So, in the end I used <h6> for
"Gullmarn, l´unico vero fiordo in Svezia",
because Gullmarnfjorden is in Västra Götaland.
However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult to read.
A possible option would be to talk about Gullmarnfjorden on the page which
deals with Västra Götaland but as this is the only fjörd in Sweden, I
thought that it would suit to the page about Sweden as well.
Any suggestions?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/

dorayme

In article <KabDg.12657$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult to read.

Space the sizes by making h6 readable and h1 whatever is
reasonable. Readability and reasonableness are transitive
qualities in this context. In other words Mr. Luigi, they then
all become readable and reasonable.

--
dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <KabDg.12657$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult to

read.

> Space the sizes by making h6 readable and h1 whatever is
> reasonable. Readability and reasonableness are transitive
> qualities in this context. In other words Mr. Luigi, they then
> all become readable and reasonable.
>
> --
> dorayme

Are you talking about relative or absolute sizes?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
*叫什么 ?

dorayme

In article <qDbDg.12658$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <KabDg.12657$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult to

> read.
> >
> > Space the sizes by making h6 readable and h1 whatever is
> > reasonable. Readability and reasonableness are transitive
> > qualities in this context. In other words Mr. Luigi, they then
> > all become readable and reasonable.
> >
> > --
> > dorayme

> Are you talking about relative or absolute sizes?

What does it matter? What do you understand by what I say that
this distinction should matter to you?

(Plus, you have been around here long enough to know to forget
talking or thinking about absolute sizes except to bash people up
or (like old Korpela) to try to trip poor martians up)

--
dorayme

Luigi Donatello Asero

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <qDbDg.12658$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[cut]

> > Are you talking about relative or absolute sizes?

> What does it matter? What do you understand by what I say that
> this distinction should matter to you?

Does that play any role in this context,
Miss dorayme?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/
*叫什么 ?

dorayme

In article <Y_bDg.12659$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <qDbDg.12658$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [cut]
>
> > > Are you talking about relative or absolute sizes?

> > What does it matter? What do you understand by what I say that
> > this distinction should matter to you?

> Does that play any role in this context,
> Miss dorayme?

You are a strange person Luigi, I said about as clear as could be
that it made no difference but you still keep on asking? If you
understood what I said to you in one context, you can adapt the
idea to the other context. Yeah.... now ask me about if i have
been to Tasmania... you might as well... Mr....

(I am in a very irritable mood because I have a fair sized print
layout job on and I backed up a new folder of the work with an
old one, taking me back a day at least. From now on, I duplicate
every crucial folder and operate only on these when I back up to
different disks. Tip, when backing up from one disk to another,
make sure which way is which. So stop irritating me with the
unbridled exercise of your freedom Mr. Luigi. You need to put
your thinking cap on. Ah... that's better... I feel strangely
better and calmer now... Don't go anywhere Luigi, you serve a
crucial purpose)

--
dorayme

Harlan Messinger

Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
> On the page https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/svezia.html
> there is a part where I mention "Gullmarnfjörden" as the only real fjord in
> Sweden.
> As "Gullmarnfjörden" is in the region Västra Götaland, I thought I could
> use <h6>
> for the following heading
> "Gullmarn, l´unico vero fiordo in Svezia",
> given that I had used <h3> for the administrative decentralization
> and <h4> for the "län" which in fact belong to the local administration and
> <h5> for each of these "län" or regions
> (Västra Götaland, Halland being two of these).
> So, in the end I used <h6> for
> "Gullmarn, l´unico vero fiordo in Svezia",
> because Gullmarnfjorden is in Västra Götaland.
> However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult to read.

So adjust your browser to increase the text size.

Jukka K. Korpela

Harlan Messinger <(E-Mail Removed)> scripsit:

> Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

- -
>> However, the font-size of <h6> is very little and perhaps difficult
>> to read.

> So adjust your browser to increase the text size.

Although I normally ignore both Luigi Asero's messages and responses to
them, this seems to be a case where a correction is needed. It is not
constructive to suggest that an author increases his browser's font size to
make <h6> elements large enough, when the _problem_ is that <h6> elements'
font size is smaller than the basic font size, by browser defaults.

Whether Luigi Asero, or someone else, really _needs_ heading levels down to
the 6th level is a different question. It's a rare situation, but there
_are_ cases where you need them, typically in fairly large documents (which
should perhaps also exist as split-up versions where the problem does not
arise, but I digress).

If you use <h6>, the sensible thing is - as "dorayme" suggested, if I read
his or her somewhat implicit message correctly - to set
h6 { font-size: 100%; }
together with font-size settings for other heading levels in a manner that
matches this setting. Normally the sizes should grow at least by 10% when
going to a higher level, but perhaps you can play by using other features
too, e.g. setting font-weight: normal for h6 and font-weight: bold for h5,
in which case both h5 and h6 could have font-size: 100% since the bolding
makes a difference.

Authors should usually consider setting top and bottom margins for heading
elements, since the common defaults are typographically wrong: they have
equal margin above and below, but the top margin should be larger than the
bottom margin. You need to pay attention to the fact that the first element
after a heading (typically <p>) may have a top margin too (<p> has, by
common defaults), so it may need some styling to make the net margins OK.

When setting the margins, you should normally use the em unit, and this
means you should try to remember that em means the font size of the element
itself. Thus, if you set
h1 { font-size: 200%; margin: 1em 0 2em 0; }
you would make the margins rather huge, since here 1em means the font size
of the <h1> element, i.e. twice the font size of copy text.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

mbstevens

On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:47:13 +0300, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> Normally the sizes should grow at least by 10% when
> going to a higher level, but perhaps you can play by using other features
> too, e.g. setting font-weight...

I occasionally like the look of a header that has 100% size and normal
weight, but wide letter spacing.

Luigi Donatello Asero

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Y_bDg.12659$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> skrev i meddelandet
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > In article <qDbDg.12658$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > > "Luigi Donatello Asero" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > [cut]

> > > What does it matter? What do you understand by what I say that
> > > this distinction should matter to you?

> > Does that play any role in this context,
> > Miss dorayme?

> You are a strange person Luigi, I said about as clear as could be
> that it made no difference but you still keep on asking? If you
> understood what I said to you in one context, you can adapt the
> idea to the other context. Yeah.... now ask me about if i have
> been to Tasmania... you might as well... Mr....

Yes, because, as far as I remember, there was someone trying to call me
from Tasmania.....
so, either it was you in which case, you should have known about it or it
was not....
Also, because I have met people who seem to have written or read something
on Usenet
(perhaps in this NG??)

> (I am in a very irritable mood because I have a fair sized print
> layout job on and I backed up a new folder of the work with an
> old one, taking me back a day at least.

From now on, I duplicate
> every crucial folder and operate only on these when I back up to
> different disks. Tip, when backing up from one disk to another,
> make sure which way is which. So stop irritating me with the
> unbridled exercise of your freedom Mr. Luigi. You need to put
> your thinking cap on. Ah... that's better... I feel strangely
> better and calmer now... Don't go anywhere Luigi, you serve a
> crucial purpose)

I like freedom. If you do not, it is your choice.

--
Luigi Donatello Asero