Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless network printer problem

Wireless network printer problem

Frank Malone

I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router with
CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either printer
which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1. Computer1 can go
to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either printer. Computer2 shows
both printers on computer1 but won't print on either printer. Computer2 can
open the shared docs folder on computer1 but can't print doc. Any help on
why computer2 can't print doc on shared printers would sure be nice.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFou?=

Go to Control Panel -> Printers and Faxes
If there are more than 1 icon for each shared printer, use process of
elimination and "Print Test Page" to the working link for each printer.
(When I set up my network, HP auto created several icons for each printer)
Then once you have located the working ones, delete the others and you should
be ok.

Otherwise:
If only one icon/printer, try going to the sharing options for that printer
and giving it an easy name. Then apply and close the window. Click on File
-> Add Printer, select the network printer option and either browse the
network for your printer or choose the second option (Connect to this
printer) and type in the name as: \\Computer Name\Printer Name.

"Frank Malone" wrote:

> I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router with
> CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either printer
> which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1. Computer1 can go
> to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either printer. Computer2 shows
> both printers on computer1 but won't print on either printer. Computer2 can
> open the shared docs folder on computer1 but can't print doc. Any help on
> why computer2 can't print doc on shared printers would sure be nice.

Frank Malone

I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I can
copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from computer2 to
computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the shared printers on
computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.

"Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router with
>CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either printer
>which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1. Computer1 can go
>to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either printer. Computer2
>shows both printers on computer1 but won't print on either printer.
>Computer2 can open the shared docs folder on computer1 but can't print doc.
>Any help on why computer2 can't print doc on shared printers would sure be
>nice.

Malke

Frank Malone wrote:

> I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I
> can copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from
> computer2 to computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the
> shared printers on computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.
>
> "Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router
>>with CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either
>>printer which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1.
>>Computer1 can go to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either
>>printer. Computer2 shows both printers on computer1 but won't print on
>>either printer. Computer2 can open the shared docs folder on computer1
>>but can't print doc. Any help on why computer2 can't print doc on
>>shared printers would sure be nice.

Did you install the printer software on Computer2? If not, you need to
do so.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Frank Malone

Yes I did install the printers software on computer2, thanks for the help

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Frank Malone wrote:
>
>> I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I
>> can copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from
>> computer2 to computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the
>> shared printers on computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.
>>
>> "Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router
>>>with CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either
>>>printer which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1.
>>>Computer1 can go to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either
>>>printer. Computer2 shows both printers on computer1 but won't print on
>>>either printer. Computer2 can open the shared docs folder on computer1
>>>but can't print doc. Any help on why computer2 can't print doc on
>>>shared printers would sure be nice.
>>>

> Did you install the printer software on Computer2? If not, you need to
> do so.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Frank Malone wrote:

> Yes I did install the printers software on computer2, thanks for the
> help
>
> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Frank Malone wrote:
>>
>>> I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I
>>> can copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from
>>> computer2 to computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the
>>> shared printers on computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.
>>>
>>> "Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>> Did you install the printer software on Computer2? If not, you need
>> to do so.

Then aside from checking the share permissions on the printer, I don't
know. Maybe one of the printer experts would know:

microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax

I'm sorry I was unable to help you with this problem.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFou?=

Frank,
This sounds like you may not have the permissions set correctly to give your
computer2 full access to computer1.

Do you have full access password set up on computer1?

From computer2 can you go into a file and make changes to it and save?

From computer2 are you able to get any of the printers to print a test page
from the printer -> properties, print test page?

"Frank Malone" wrote:

> Yes I did install the printers software on computer2, thanks for the help
>
> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Frank Malone wrote:
> >
> >> I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I
> >> can copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from
> >> computer2 to computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the
> >> shared printers on computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.
> >>
> >> "Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>>

> > Did you install the printer software on Computer2? If not, you need to
> > do so.
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > "Don't Panic!"
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFou?=

PS:

Another thing that would be helpful is information about the printers that
you are using on computer1.

"Malke" wrote:

> Frank Malone wrote:
>
> > I still need help on getting my computer2 to print. One more thing I
> > can copy files from computer1 to computer2 or copy files from
> > computer2 to computer1. I can't find out why computer2 can't use the
> > shared printers on computer1. I'm using a Linksys WRT54G router.
> >
> > "Frank Malone" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I am using xp SP2, DSL, Linksys router, computer1 connected to router
> >>with CAT5, computer2 is wirless. Computer1 can print files to either
> >>printer which are using a usb cable to each printer on computer1.
> >>Computer1 can go to the shared docs on computer2 and print on either
> >>printer. Computer2 shows both printers on computer1 but won't print on
> >>either printer. Computer2 can open the shared docs folder on computer1
> >>but can't print doc. Any help on why computer2 can't print doc on
> >>shared printers would sure be nice.
> >>

> Did you install the printer software on Computer2? If not, you need to
> do so.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Frank Malone

Thanks everyone for the help. Installed a new router and printers working ok
now.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...