Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Shared Files Problem

Shared Files Problem

=?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=

Hello Everyone,

I have set up a home net work for three computers and everything seems to
work fine. However, when one of the network computers (Laptop) opens the
shared file directory and we work with any of the documents in the shared
file the system will let the user save anything or add a new document to the
shared file. In addition if a user wants to set up a sub folder within the
shared folder the system will allow the user to do that either.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to correct this problem?

--
Lowell Shoaf
Realtor

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uIFou?=

PS... This applies only to XP Home and XP Media Center

That is pretty much the idea of a shared directory. As long as those
accessing that directory are able to provide the password for it, they are
granted acess to that information with the ability to make changes and new
directories in that shared folder.

Other options: If you want them to have "read only" acess then make sure
that the box under the share folder name is unchecked (Allow network users to
change my files).

Otherwise: Under XP Pro, you can set the access privileges for each user
and share location.

"Lowell" wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have set up a home net work for three computers and everything seems to
> work fine. However, when one of the network computers (Laptop) opens the
> shared file directory and we work with any of the documents in the shared
> file the system will let the user save anything or add a new document to the
> shared file. In addition if a user wants to set up a sub folder within the
> shared folder the system will allow the user to do that either.
>
> Does anyone have suggestions on how to correct this problem?
>

> --
> Lowell Shoaf
> Realtor
> RE/MAX Gulfstream Realty
> Sarasota, Florida

=?Utf-8?B?TG93ZWxs?=

Ron,

Thanks for your note. It is a little clearer now. Actually, we are running
XP Pro, where do I go to set the password?

--
Lowell Shoaf
Realtor