Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connection limits, HTTP keep-alives, and debuging

Connection limits, HTTP keep-alives, and debuging

Mark Rae

Hi,

Development machine is:

AMD dual-core 64-bit Athlon
4Gb RAM
2 x 160Gb SATA hard drives
WinXP Pro + SP2 and all the latest patches
Visual Studio.NET 2005
SQL Server 2005 developer edition

Recently, after a serious bit of cross-browser / cross-platform testing, I
encountered an error telling me that there too many concurrent connections.
Was slightly puzzled by this, as there's just me using this machine, but a
trawl round Google revealed that the problem was due to having enabled (or,
rather, not having disabled) HTTP keep-alives for the website in question. I
disabled it, restarted IIS, and the problem went away.

However, once the testing was finished and I moved on to the next piece of
development, I was unable to start any sites in debug mode. Another trawl
round Google revealed that HTTP keep-alives is required for debugging of
ASP.NET sites through Visual Studio.NET.

Further research revealed that IIS 5.1 (i.e. the version which comes with
WinXP Pro) is limited by default to 10 concurrent connections, but that this
number could be increased to a maximum of 40
(http://www.iisanswers.com/IIS51.htm), though this is not widely advertised.

Therefore, quick question: is it OK to increase the default number of
maximum connections, or is there a way to allow debugging with HTTP
keep-alives disabled?

Any assistance gratefully received.

Mark

Mark Rae

No-one got any thoughts on this...?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

ppp and multilink debuging Guest Cisco 0 07-17-2007 09:32 AM
Debuging using core dump and PC gogo C Programming 1 04-17-2006 10:40 AM
debuging on Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 Avi ASP .Net 1 05-05-2005 12:03 PM
Eclipse and tomcat jsp debuging yair Java 0 12-31-2003 04:37 PM
More debuging an line number. Anders Both ASP .Net 1 12-23-2003 02:45 AM

Advertisments