Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Unable to understand network trouble

Unable to understand network trouble

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

I posted a message before, but did not get an answer that resolves the
problems.
The configuration: D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable
modem. The network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired to
the router,
a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in Intel 2200 BG WLAN adapter, and a
desktop
running
Win XP Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 wireless adapter.
All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
Firewalls are turned off, "My Document" folders and external drives
(connected to desktop) are made
"shared".
I can not ping the desktop from the laptop, get a time out.
From the laptop I can access My Documents on the desktop and a 2nd partiton
on the C drive. I can not access the external drives (network path not
found). Access to the 2 shared folders however is not constant. It may
suddenly happen that I get a Network Path not found.
When I display the workgroup from the laptop, ONLY the laptop is shown.

I can not ping the laptop from the desktop. I have no access to shares
(Network path not found)
The workgroup does display both laptop and desktop.

I have tried classsic sharing using the Win XP Pro features, and have tried
simple sharing. Neither one works.

What might the problem be? Why can I access 2 shares from the laptop, but
not ping the desktop from the laptop?
How do I solve this? I have run all tests, and network configuration is
correct. In turning the firewalls (Sygate) on and checking the log after
trying to access or ping the other PC, I do see that the access was passed by
the firewall. So, something in win xp must be blocking everything.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
Try to add NetBEUI as an additional sharing protocol.
http://www.ezlan.net/netbeui.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I posted a message before, but did not get an answer that resolves the
> problems.
> The configuration: D Link DI-524 wireless router connected to my cable
> modem. The network consists of a laser printer with printer server, wired
> the router,
> a laptop with Win XP Pro and build in Intel 2200 BG WLAN adapter, and a
> desktop
> running
> Win XP Pro, with Belkin DWL-G122 wireless adapter.
> All devices have the same workgroup set, NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled,
> Firewalls are turned off, "My Document" folders and external drives
> (connected to desktop) are made
> "shared".
> I can not ping the desktop from the laptop, get a time out.
> From the laptop I can access My Documents on the desktop and a 2nd
> partiton
> on the C drive. I can not access the external drives (network path not
> found). Access to the 2 shared folders however is not constant. It may
> suddenly happen that I get a Network Path not found.
> When I display the workgroup from the laptop, ONLY the laptop is shown.
>
> I can not ping the laptop from the desktop. I have no access to shares
> (Network path not found)
> The workgroup does display both laptop and desktop.
>
> I have tried classsic sharing using the Win XP Pro features, and have
> tried
> simple sharing. Neither one works.
>
> What might the problem be? Why can I access 2 shares from the laptop, but
> not ping the desktop from the laptop?
> How do I solve this? I have run all tests, and network configuration is
> correct. In turning the firewalls (Sygate) on and checking the log after
> trying to access or ping the other PC, I do see that the access was passed
> by
> the firewall. So, something in win xp must be blocking everything.

=?Utf-8?B?R3V5?=

Hello Jack,

A new problem added on the 2 PCs, without changing anything to the setup,
without installing new software.
When I try to peek, I get the message "'peek' is not recognized as an
internal or external command, operable program or batch file. I have googled
for this, but can not find anything. It happened on both PCs at about the
same time.
What caused this, and how do I get rid of it?
I will add the NetBEUI and see what happens.

Thanks