Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > XML > Pathan alternatives - Quick question

Pathan alternatives - Quick question

ddtbhai@gmail.com

Hello all,

I selected Pathan recently to add basic XPath query support for an
application.
However, the site gives me an impression of "abandonware" as the latest
release has been in beta for about two years now.

I had tried making sense of Apache Xalan, but the material was heavily
geared towards XSLT and some other acronyms i wasn't interested in ...
and the sample weren't encouraging.

Has anyone found any free, platform-independent, in-development
alternatives to Pathan ? Or if Xalan is "TheOne" any links to some
small and simple tutorials will be appreciated.

Thanks for your time ..

Martin Honnen

> Has anyone found any free, platform-independent, in-development
> alternatives to Pathan ? Or if Xalan is "TheOne" any links to some
> small and simple tutorials will be appreciated.

I don't know Pathan, is that a Java application/API?
If you are looking for XSLT/XPath 1.0 support then Saxon 6 is a
possibility, here is the link to its documentation of the XPath API
<http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.5/api-guide.html#Expressions>

On the other hand with the standard Java 1.5 SDK you get XPath support
with the package

<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/xml/xpath/package-frame.html>

--

Martin Honnen
http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

ddtbhai@gmail.com

Thanks Martin,
I'm extremely sorry for not mentioning that I'm interested in C++
libraries!
(egad! ppl work with C++ and XML??? - TheWorld)

So the question goes, any *C++* sanity-preserving Xpath libraries out
there ?

Martin Honnen wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

> > Has anyone found any free, platform-independent, in-development
> > alternatives to Pathan ? Or if Xalan is "TheOne" any links to some
> > small and simple tutorials will be appreciated.

> I don't know Pathan, is that a Java application/API?
> If you are looking for XSLT/XPath 1.0 support then Saxon 6 is a
> possibility, here is the link to its documentation of the XPath API
> <http://saxon.sourceforge.net/saxon6.5.5/api-guide.html#Expressions>
>
> On the other hand with the standard Java 1.5 SDK you get XPath support
> with the package
>
> <http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/xml/xpath/package-frame.html>
>

> --
>
> Martin Honnen
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Joseph Kesselman

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> So the question goes, any *C++* sanity-preserving Xpath libraries out
> there ?

I'm not sure of its current status, but doesn't the C++ version of
Apache Xalan have an XPath API?

ddtbhai@gmail.com

Joseph Kesselman wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > So the question goes, any *C++* sanity-preserving Xpath libraries out
> > there ?

> I'm not sure of its current status, but doesn't the C++ version of
> Apache Xalan have an XPath API?
>
> --
> Joe Kesselman / Beware the fury of a patient man. -- John Dryden

Ok thanks to Joseph, i renewed my efforts to make sense of Xalan and am
happy to have made a nice discovery : The XPathWrapper sample class!
(And i'm still sane ! or so i think ... )

[XPathWrapper.hpp]
http://www.koders.com/c++/fid88070F9...ACD230B02.aspx
[TestDriver.cpp]
http://www.koders.com/c++/fid88070F9...ACD230B02.aspx

For people in a hurry, this class seems to be the perfect fit.
Strangely, it is not listed in the official samples page!
(http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/samples.html)

So Xalan it is .. !

Boris Kolpackov

Hi,

(E-Mail Removed) writes:

> So the question goes, any *C++* sanity-preserving Xpath libraries out
> there ?

Sometimes it is easier to take a C implementation and wrap it yourself.
libxml2[1] I believe implements Xpath 1.0.

[1] http://www.xmlsoft.org/

hth,
-boris

--
Boris Kolpackov
Code Synthesis Tools CC

Quick question, hopefully quick answer. ~misfit~ NZ Computing 114 01-06-2005 01:36 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM
PanasonicBQ390 "quick" charger - How quick? Ol' Bab Digital Photography 1 01-17-2004 06:54 AM

Advertisments