Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Re: Cisco 501

Re: Cisco 501

cptkirkh

Walter,
I tried your pdm upload from copy http that was on another post
but all I got was invalid remote host. Does the http server need to be
on the LAN side of the PIX? I have now installed a tftp server on one
of my servers at my network and I am curious what the commands for tftp
are? Thanks for your help.
Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> cptkirkh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Is there anyway to upload the PDM from ftp?

> Do you mean "copy the PDM image from the 501 to an ftp server" ?
> If so then the answer is NO, there is no way to copy the PDM image
> or the OS image -from- the 501 to anywhere else.
>
> Do you mean "copy the PDM image to the 501 using ftp rather than
> tftp" ? If so then the answer is NO, the only two protocols supported
> for copying images to the 501 are tftp and http.
>
> >Also can I upload the PDM
> >image and not mess the current configuration.

> If you mean load the PDM image into the 501, then the answer is YES,
> copying the PDM image into the 501 does not change the configuration
> of the 501. (However, perhaps upon the next reboot the
> configuration might be changed very slightly -- pdm has a way of
> adding new "pdm" configuration lines in to the configuration.)
>

> >And finally is there a
> >way to download the current config as a backup? Thnask for your help.

> It sounds as if you are using "upload" and "download" in the reverse
> sense of how most people would use them Anyhow, use the
> tftp-server configuration command to control the interface name
> and destination to use, and then go into configuration mode
> (config terminal) and give the command write net in order to
> have the PIX attempt to tftp the configuration out. (Note: for most
> tftp servers, the destination file must exist before you can write to it.)

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
cptkirkh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I tried your pdm upload from copy http that was on another post
>but all I got was invalid remote host. Does the http server need to be
>on the LAN side of the PIX?

No, but there does have to be a route to it, and you have to use the
IP address (or a 'name' that is the IP address.)

> I have now installed a tftp server on one
>of my servers at my network and I am curious what the commands for tftp
>are? Thanks for your help.

First configure the tftp-server command. Then,

copy tftp flashdm

MAC OS X using Cisco VPN Client through CISCO PIX 501 InetSecurity Cisco 0 06-23-2006 01:57 AM
Cisco pix 501 vs 501-50 cdoc Cisco 6 05-20-2006 03:53 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
Cisco PIX 501 using pptp to connect to cisco vpn 3005 concentrator Kai Cisco 1 05-14-2004 02:44 PM
Re: configure cisco pix 501 to allow WindowsUpdate Walter Roberson Cisco 1 07-18-2003 04:45 PM

Advertisments