Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Telnet in PIX

Telnet in PIX

Shawn H. Mesiatowsky

I need to have remote telnet to my pix from another office location. I add
the command

telnet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255

where x is the external IP of the office I will be telneting from, but I
still cannot telnet in from the remote location. I have also tried to add an
ACL

access-list outside_acl tcp permit any host x.x.x.x eq telnet

where x is the external IP of my pix box. Am I missing something here? anyw
help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sincerely,
Shawn H. Mesiatowsky

Doan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Shawn H. Mesiatowsky wrote:

> I need to have remote telnet to my pix from another office location. I add
> the command
>
> telnet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255
>
> where x is the external IP of the office I will be telneting from, but I
> still cannot telnet in from the remote location. I have also tried to add an
> ACL
>
> access-list outside_acl tcp permit any host x.x.x.x eq telnet
>
> where x is the external IP of my pix box. Am I missing something here? anyw
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
>
> Sincerely,
> Shawn H. Mesiatowsky

You can only telnet from an inside host. Use ssh instead.

Doan

Doan

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Doan wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Shawn H. Mesiatowsky wrote:
>
> > I need to have remote telnet to my pix from another office location. I add
> > the command
> >
> > telnet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255
> >
> > where x is the external IP of the office I will be telneting from, but I
> > still cannot telnet in from the remote location. I have also tried to add an
> > ACL
> >
> > access-list outside_acl tcp permit any host x.x.x.x eq telnet
> >
> > where x is the external IP of my pix box. Am I missing something here? anyw
> > help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Shawn H. Mesiatowsky
> >

> You can only telnet from an inside host. Use ssh instead.
>

> Doan

I mispoke; try telnet x.x.x.x 255.255.255.255 outside.

Doan

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Doan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Shawn H. Mesiatowsky wrote:

:> I need to have remote telnet to my pix from another office location.

:You can only telnet from an inside host. Use ssh instead.

Normally you cannot telnet from a low security interface and
need to use ssh. However, if one establishes a VPN tunnel to the
remote PIX and the tunnel match-address ACL includes the IP address of
the outside interface, then one will be able to telnet through the tunnel to
the PIX.
--
Contents: 100% recycled post-consumer statements.