Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Best codec for using a modem on

Best codec for using a modem on

Simon Finnigan

Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread. It`s
going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this message of course

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem use,
on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?

Thanks!

{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Simon Finnigan:
> Hi all,
> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
> message of course
>
> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
> please?
>
> Thanks!

More than likely be G711a

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Simon Finnigan

{{{{{Welcome}}}}} wrote:
> Thus spaketh Simon Finnigan:
>> Hi all,
>> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
>> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
>> message of course
>>
>> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
>> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
>> please?
>>
>> Thanks!

> More than likely be G711a

Cheers. it came with G711u as standard, just changed to a. Will see if it
makes a difference to call quality for me now.

Graham

"Simon Finnigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this message of
> course
>
> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem
> use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?
>
> Thanks!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
My tests have all been failures.

--
Graham
%Profound_observation%

Tim

Simon Finnigan wrote:
> Cheers. it came with G711u as standard, just changed to a. Will see if it
> makes a difference to call quality for me now.

You also need to

turn off echo cancellation
Set `Jitter Buffer Adjustment` to disable

I'd also be tempted to set `Use Pref Codec Only` to yes - just to
makesure your service provider doesn't try to setup a call using another
codec.

'Network Jitter Level' set to high (or higher) may help too.

On a sipura device, use a 3.xx firmware. Infact, I don't think those
settings exist in 2.xx

I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
running with a gradwell account.

Tim

Thomas Kenyon

Tim wrote:

> I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
> running with a gradwell account.
>
> Tim

Coo. Which PDQ?

I had a brief try with one (failed miserably) but I thought it was worth
a shot when I read the modem specs.

Tim

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
> Coo. Which PDQ?

hypercom something.

Tim

Thomas Kenyon

Tim wrote:
> Thomas Kenyon wrote:
>> Coo. Which PDQ?

> hypercom something.
>
> Tim

Probably the same type, I'll have another go.

Simon Finnigan

Graham wrote:
> "Simon Finnigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi all,
>> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
>> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
>> message of course
>>
>> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
>> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
>> please? Thanks!

> Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
> My tests have all been failures.

So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem

Jono

on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :
> Graham wrote:
>> "Simon Finnigan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Hi all,
>>> I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
>>> It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
>>> message of course
>>>
>>> Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
>>> modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
>>> please? Thanks!

>> Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
>> My tests have all been failures.

> So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
> to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
> playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem

Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!